University mentorship scheme leads to 40 per cent increase in language GCSEs in Wales

French, Spanish, and German see rise in uptake through successful mentoring programme

A Welsh Government-funded mentoring programme has boosted the uptake of international language GCSEs by over 40 per cent.

The Modern Foreign Languages Mentoring programme, led by Cardiff University, pairs university students with year eight and nine learners to promote subjects like French, German, and Spanish.

The scheme, which operates in 80 per cent of Welsh secondary schools, aims to reverse the decline in students choosing language GCSEs. It is designed to show learners the value of multilingualism through the guidance of mentors who are passionate about languages.

Education Secretary Lynne Neagle praised the initiative during a visit to Tonyrefail Community School. He said: “International languages help raise aspirations and broaden horizons for learners in Wales. I am delighted to see the positive impact this programme is having.”

Sasha, a Cardiff University student who mentored 12 pupils, saw five of them opt to take a language GCSE. “The mentoring experience felt calm and more like a conversation than a lesson,” said one of her mentees, Ollie, who decided to take French.

Professor Claire Gorrara, who leads the programme, highlighted its broader impact, adding: “Our mentors inspire a love for languages, showing learners the rich personal and professional benefits that language learning can offer.”

However, the scheme is also beneficial for the university students taking part too, as according to Cardiff University’s intranet, students can “gain valuable employability skills and receive a bursary of up to £250”.

The scheme is open to students from any discipline, not just languages, so if you want to know more, you can access the mentoring page here.

Related articles recommended by this writer: