20-year-old man charged with murder after attack on two women on Bournemouth beach

Nasen Saadi will appear in Winchester Crown Court on Tuesday


A 20-year-old man has appeared in court, charged with murder and attempted murder after stabbing two women on Durley Chine Beach.

34-year-old Amie Gray was pronounced dead at the scene, whilst another woman aged 38 was taken to hospital with serious injuries and has since been discharged.

Nasen Saadi appeared at Poole Magistrates’ Court on Saturday and is set to appear at Winchester Crown Court on Tuesday, Daily Echo reports. 

Police were called to the seafront after two women from Poole were attacked by a man with a blade at 11.45pm on Friday, May 24th.

Amie Gray, a personal trainer from Poole, died at the scene. The second victim, 38-year-old  Leanne Miles, was treated in hospital for serious injuries.

From Croydon, south London, Saadi spoke only to confirm his name and address at Poole magistrates court on Saturday. He has been remanded in custody until Tuesday, where a hearing is to be held at Winchester Crown Court.

Louise Holmes, prosecuting, told the court: “The Crown application is for the defendant to be remanded in custody as he is charged with murder and he has no right to bail today.”

Paul Kemp, chairman of the magistrates’ panel, told Saadi: “You are being sent for trial at the crown court sitting at Winchester for the following offences – murder and attempted murder. You will attend there on the 4th June for a plea and trial preparation hearing.

“Due to the nature of the offences with which you are charged there is no prospect for bail being granted and you are remanded in custody until that time.”

Defending Saadi, Ogugua Ebuzoeme told the court: “It’s good to remind everyone that my client is innocent until proven guilty.”

Paying tribute to her wife, Sian Gray described Amie as “a larger than life character”. She said: “Words cannot describe the pain that we feel. Amie was the most loving wife and mother. Her giggly laugh and big smile will be hard to be without. I will miss you immensely my love. To the moon and back, for ever and always”.

Detective superintendent Richard Dixey, of Dorset Police major crime investigation team said: “We have worked tirelessly throughout the night since the initial report and have been able to progress our investigation.

“Foremost, our thoughts remain with the loved ones of the woman who very tragically lost her life.

“Officers are continuing with their enquiries and a cordon remains in place and is likely to remain so for some time. Members of the public will see an increased police presence in the area over the coming days and officers from the local neighbourhood policing team can be approached with any concerns.”

Superintendent Dixey said: “This matter has been the subject of an extensive investigation and we have now consulted with the Crown Prosecution Service, which has authorised the charges of murder and attempted murder.

“This means the case will now be the subject of active court proceedings and it is vital that the justice system is allowed to follow its course.

“It is also important to stress that there should be no further commentary or sharing of information online or on social media that could potentially prejudice these court proceedings.”

Featured image via Facebook and Google Maps

Related stories recommended by this writer:

Revolution Bournemouth has closed down with immediate effect

Bournemouth University becomes a refill campus to tackle single-use plastic waste

Four Arts University Bournemouth students design new NHS research bus