A guide to Birmingham’s hottest hot girl walks

Grab your headphones and explore what Brum has to offer beyond smelly Selly

At first glance Brum’s scenic spots are few and far between, but within a short walk or drive of Selly Oak there are some gorgeous spots to explore. Whether you need a space to clear your head or want to channel your hot girl energy and be an “it girl” for the afternoon, here are five spots to keep in mind for when you need a well deserved break from the library.

Take the time to think about what you’re grateful for (Circo), what your goals are (making it to your Thursday 9am), and remind yourself just how hot you are, as you venture out to some of Brum’s more scenic spots.

Bournville

Take a trip over Selly bridge and you’ll find yourself in Bournville. With its well kept terraced houses and independent shops, Bournville could not feel more different to Selly Oak. Head around Bournville park, breathe in the smell of melted chocolate and treat yourself to a Kafenion hot chocolate. You will return to smelly Selly feeling like the ultimate it girl.

Cannon Hill

If you fancy a longer walk Cannon Hill’s 5km route is the perfect place to properly clear your head. Whether you need a catch up with a friend, a break from uni, or a cry on the phone to your mum (we’ve all been there), Cannon Hill provides the perfect space to shut off from the world and reclaim your hot girl energy.

Lickey Hills

Located a 25 minute drive from Selly Oak, Lickey Hills is only accessible to those of us fortunate enough to have a car, but, if you get a chance to go it’s worth the trek. Covering 524 acres you can strut to your hearts content around Lickey Hills, take in the views of the city and treat your lungs to some fresh, smoke free, air for the perfect self care day. Take in the view from Beacon Hill, and remind yourself that life is bigger than your degree. This is the perfect place for when life gets a bit too much and you need to clear your head.

Winterbourne Gardens

With free student access and conveniently located next to the Vale, Winterbourne gardens is the perfect spot for when you need to escape the library. You can choose to wander around the botanical garden or venture through the trees, emerging yourself in nature, without leaving Edgbaston. Treat yourself to a coffee, take some pics for your Instagram, and you are UoB’s main character.

Clent Hills

Similarly to Lickey Hills, Clent Hills is slightly further afield, but after a 25 minute car journey you’ll find yourself in a countryside haven. Offering panoramic views over the Cotswolds, Shropshire Hills, and Welsh Borders, Clent picturesque views are worth the trek. With miles of footpaths or the opportunity to venture off the beaten track, this walk highlights a side of Brum unfamiliar to most students stuck in Selly.

With the days getting colder take the opportunity to grab your skinny scarf and a hot choc, and see what the rest of Brum has to offer. There’s a whole lot more to Brum than smelly Selly!

• Just 10 fun and booze-free activities that students can do in Birmingham

A fresher’s guide to being an academic weapon: University of Birmingham edition

• These are the top 10 date spots in Brum this cuffing season