MAFS UK 2024 cast

Women’s domestic abuse charity raises ‘concerns’ over ‘abusive’ behaviour shown by MAFS cast

‘We are extremely concerned that shows like MAFS UK normalise and excuse these actions’

The commitment ceremony during last night’s MAFS UK 2024 episode showcased some awful behaviour from the cast, with both Richelle and Alex being called out by their co-stars for their comments.

Alex in particular was called out by both Sacha and MAFS UK 2024 viewers online, who condemned him for his behaviour towards his female co-stars. He accused Lacey of being a “f*cking snake” after she exposed Hannah and Orson for secretly kissing before accusing everyone of “talking sh*t.”

Sacha later brought him up for his words, telling him: “There are certain ways of addressing things calmly you don’t need to attack, attack, attack. I’ve sat here and I’ve watched you attack women on either end.”

Via Channel 4

Richelle’s words towards Orson were also commented on by MAFS viewers, who felt like the experts should have stopped her rant well before it began.

Women’s domestic abuse charity Refuge has now put out a statement regarding both the behaviour of the MAFS UK 2024 cast as a whole, as well as holding the experts accountable.

The charity said: “Refuge has concerns surrounding this year’s Married at First Sight in which some contestants are displaying behaviours we recognise as abusive, and partners appear to be distressed and victimised as a result.

“Threatening behaviour is not always physical violence or raised voices. It can be facial expressions, body language, someone’s demeanour or their tone. Your partner shutting down conversations and making you feel silenced can be a warning sign of coercive control.”

Via Channel 4

The charity continued: “Coercive control should not be aired as ‘entertainment’ on reality television and we are extremely concerned that shows like #MAFSUK normalise and excuse these actions. We want to see the ‘experts’ on this show do more to call out abusive behaviour when it occurs on air.

“Producers have a responsibility to make sure the message and narratives they are broadcasting to audiences don’t excuse abuse, that footage like this is not aired in the first place and to provide safeguards to protect individuals involved in the show.”

Via Channel 4

Channel 4 previously issued a statement in relation to allegations of abuse from cast member Alex. A spokesperson for Channel 4 said: “The welfare of our contributors is of paramount importance and, as such, we take all allegations of unacceptable behaviour seriously.

“We are aware of a single allegation against a Married at First Sight UK 2024 contributor and we have responded directly to those who came to us with that allegation.

“As part of our responsibility to safeguard our contributors, everyone taking part in MAFSUK undergoes a rigorous vetting process, involving a criminal record check and multiple psychological evaluations, before they can be cleared to take part.

“The DBS (criminal record) check carried out on the contributor raised in the allegation was returned clean. We cast contributors based on the information we are legally able to access and we continue to review this process to ensure checks are as thorough as legally possible.”

The Tab has reached out to Channel 4 and the production team for comment, alongside Alex. For all the latest MAFS UK 2024 cast member news, scandals, gossip and updates – like The Holy Church of MAFS on Facebook