Molly Mae Hague controversies

Private jets to £10K a night holidays: All of Molly Mae’s biggest controversies

‘She’s Margaret Thatcher with a fake tan’

We all know who Molly-Mae Hague is: Proof that you don’t even have to win Love Island to reap enourmous benefits. She became a millionaire just months after leaving the villa and was only 20-years-old at the time. She entered season five as the bombshell and quickly hit it off with Tommy Fury, who she now shares one-year-old Bambi with. And the brand deals just keep on coming.

She has amassed 7.9M followers on Instagram, which equals an estimated £65k per brand post, with her net worth reportedly being around £6 million. But, despite her endless fans, Molly has also found herself in her fair share of controversies – one of which resulted in users on Twitter/X calling her “Margaret Thatcher with a fake tan”. Ouch. So, in case you’re curious, here are all of Molly’s biggest public fall outs in her career so far:

The private jet row

Just last weekend, Molly-Mae flew 12 friends to Courchevel, France on a private jet to celebrate one of her friends 30th birthday. She revealed the details of this lavish trip on her YouTube channel which has a whopping 1.85 million subscribers. During a cost of living and climate crisis some people grumbled over such an overt brandishing of wealth distasteful, but her loyal viewers only sung her praises, commenting: “Your videos I could watch for HOURS and never get bored!!! We need vlogs longer than 20 minutes!!”

Her £10k a night holidays

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Molly-Mae Hague (@mollymae)

In December 2023, Molly, Tommy and Bambi stayed at The Ritz Carlton Maldives, which costs £10,000 per night. This was Molly-Mae’s tenth holiday of the year and they travelled in first class, naturally.

The infamous £8,000 Instagram giveaway

In March 2021, the Advertising Standards Authority reprimanded Molly-Mae because they could not prove that her £8k Instagram giveaway, complete with LV luggage, was fairly executed. The giveaway in question was to celebrate her hitting 1 million subscribers on Youtube but just wound up being a big admin headache.

‘We all have 24 hours in a day’

Even if you’re not a Love Island superfan, it would be hard to have missed Molly-Mae’s discussion on Steven Bartlett’s The Diary of a CEO. In the interview, which was posted to Youtube, Hague said “I just think you’re given one life and it’s down to you what you do with it. You can literally go in any direction.

“When I’ve spoken in the past I’ve been slammed a little bit, with people saying, ‘It’s easy for you to say that, you’ve not grown up in poverty, you’ve not grown up with major money struggles. So for you to sit there and say we all have the same 24 hours in a day is not correct.

And I’m like, but technically what I’m saying is correct – we do.”

The online backlash was immense, with people alikening her to Thatcher and one user, @tsrbys, captioning the video: “If you’re homeless just buy a house.”

Huge protests against Pretty Little Thing

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Venetia La Manna (@venetialamanna)

Shortly after her infamous 24-hour comments, Molly-Mae was the centre of another media storm. She held the role of the Creative Director of Pretty Little Thing from August 2021 until June 2023, when she stepped down to spend more time with her daughter.

The fashion brand, owned by Boohoo, has come under lots of fire due to its disregard for sustainable fashion and treatment of its workers. Outside the LFW AW22, protestors held up signs drawing attention to the discrepancy between Molly’s alleged £4.8 million per year salary compared with the garment workers £7k. Yikes.