Barbie 2 sequel

Wait, is there going to be a second Barbie movie?

I’m so ready for a sequel

It feels like the world hasn’t even recovered from the tidal pink wave that is the Barbie extravaganza: Gargantuan press tour, endless merch, $1billion at the box office— it’s been a total Barbie Land summer. And, already, whispers about a sequel are bubbling online.

So, in case you’re curious about whether we can expect Ryan Gosling to pull on some more bandanas and fur coats next summer, here’s everything we know so far about the possibility of a sequel, aka, Barbie 2.

So, is there going to be a Barbie 2?

Barbie 2 sequel

At the moment, Barbie director Greta Gerwig is giving us straight mixed signals. She told the The New York Times she didn’t have any ideas yet for Barbie 2. But she also told People before Barbie hit $1billion she wanted her film to be “the launch of a world and a bunch of different Barbie movies.” Maybe she’s just got writers block?

“I feel like that at the end of every movie, like I’ll never have another idea and everything I’ve ever wanted to do, I did,” she confirmed to the New York Times of her brain fog. “I wouldn’t want to squash anybody else’s dream but for me, at this moment, I’m at totally zero.”

However, all hope might not be lost because she also told People:  “There’s a tone and a humor and a joy, and obviously the world is so beautiful. I want to go back to Barbie Land.” She’s just like us, for real.

Barbie 2 sequel

Meanwhile Margot Robbie, who produced as well as starred in Barbie, seemed less certain about going back for Barbie 2 during the original film’s press tour. “It could go a million different directions from this point,” she told Time magazine. “But I think you fall into a bit of a trap if you try and set up a first movie whilst also planning for sequels.”

One place where they’ll almost certainly be keeping their fingers crossed and emails prepared for another Barbie film, though, is at Mattel HQ:

“Successful movies lend themselves to more movies,” CEO Ynon Kreiz told Variety. “We’re not saying, ‘Okay, let’s think already about movie two and three.’ Let’s get the first one right and make that a success… if you do that, opportunities open up very quickly, once you establish the first movie as a successful representation of a franchise on the big screen.”

So, it’s a yes, no, maybe from Margot Robbie and Greta Gerwig and an almost certainly from Barbie’s creators Mattel. One out of three is most of the way there?

More Barbie stories recommended by this writer:

• Take this quiz and we’ll tell you which Barbie from the film matches your overall vibe

You’re not cool if you wont watch the Barbie movie – you’re just annoying 

Right, this is why Ken is so obsessed with horses in the Barbie movie