Blaine Gibson Russia

Every location debris has been found from missing flight MH370 over the past nine years

There’s actually been loads

After Netflix released the documentary MH370: The Plane That Disappeared this month, everyone has been wondering whether the wreckage of the Malaysia Airlines Flight that disappeared in 2014 with 239 people on board was ever found. And, although seriously expensive government and private hunts for the plane have been conducted, all that remains are fragments of MH370.

In the first three years after the plane vanished, between 2015 and 2017, everyone from adventurers and beach walkers to tourists and teenagers found a total of 20 pieces of debris in various locations across the globe. So, in case you’re wondering where the most clues to MH370’s disappearance have been found, here’s the location of every discovery:

Saint André, Réunion (2015)

The first piece of MH370 debris was found in July 2015, washed up on the shore of the French Island, Réunion. The debris was 2,500 miles away from the underwater search for the plane and was found by a local man called Johnny Bègue. Two months after Johnny’s discovery, officials confirmed the debris was a 2.7 metre-long flaperon (the moveable part of the plane’s wing). Officials also found what they thought were the remains of a suitcase, a Chinese water bottle, and an Indonesian cleaning product, in the same area.

Xai Xai, Mozambique (2015)

Six months before the flaperon was found, another piece of debris was discovered by a South African teenager called Liam Lotter while he was on holiday in Mozambique. After discovering a metre-long mental piece, which had the code 676EB stencilled on it in the style of Malaysia Airlines, he took it back home and didn’t realise what it could be until months later.

Investigators said it was part of the plane’s flap track fairing (which protects the wing flap and reduces drag) and was “almost certainly from MH370”.

Vilankulo, Mozambique (2016)

In February 2016, adventurer Blaine Gibson (who was on a self-funded hunt to find pieces of the plane) found a piece of debris with “NO STEP” written across it in Mozambique. The discovery was analysed in Australia and confirmed to “almost certainly” be a piece of one of MH370’s stabiliser panels.

MH370 debris

Mossel Bay, South Africa (2016)

A month later in March 2016, a 70cmx70cm panel with Rolls-Royce font used by Malaysian Airlines was found in Mossel Bay by an archaeologist called Neels Kruger. The piece is likely to have come from the missing plane but aviation investigators haven’t been able to confirm specifically which side or part of MH370 it was from.

Rodrigues Island, Mauritius (2016)

At the end of March in 2016, a couple from Réunion who were on holiday in Mauritius found the only debris yet discovered from the inside of the plane. Experts said the piece Jean Dominique and Suzy Vitry had found was a panel segment from the main cabin of the plane.

Pemba Island, Zanzibar (2016)

In June 2016, a large wing flap was found on Pemba Island in Zanzibar. There were several numbers, including a date stamp, on the metal piece of the debris, which proved it was from MH370.

MH370 debris

Sainte-Luce, Madagascar (2016)

In September 2016, two pieces of debris were found by fishermen in Madagascar and were handed over to the authorities by the adventurer Blaine Gibson who found the other debris in Mozambique. But investigators said there was no evidence that linked the debris to MH370 because the marks on the surface of the pieces weren’t caused by fire.

MH370: The Plane That Disappeared is available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.