Get to know Ed Speelers, the actor who plays Rhys Montrose in season four of YOU

Eragon is looking a little different here

Spoilers ahead!

Ed Speelers is one of the newest cast members part of YOU season four and plays Rhys Montrose. At the end of the first half, Rhys was unmasked as the Eat the Rich killer and everyone was left shaking in their boots. However, before Ed starred in YOU, he had a pretty established career.

Since starring on the show, everyone has discovered where they recognise Ed from and it has left them floored. So while you pick your mouth up from the floor over the identity of the Eat the Rich Killer, here’s everything you need to know about Ed Speelers, who plays Rhys Montrose, in YOU.

Ed is 34 years old from Chichester

Edward ‘Ed’ Speelers is a 34-year-old English actor from Chichester. Ed’s acting career began after he performed in school productions of Shakespeare plays like Richard III an A Midsummer Night’s Dream. He also wrote a play of his own and it was performed at Eastbourne College.

Ed Speelers Rhys You

via Instagram @edwardjspeelers

He is Eragon in Eragon!!

It took a while, but YOU viewers eventually realised where they recognised Ed from and it’s from the 2006 film Eragon. Ed played the titular role and it was his film debut. Talking to Rotten Tomatoes about how he got the role, Ed said: “I was sort of minding my own business at school doing a play and I just heard about this audition. And I’d read the book – I was familiar with the book – so I knew the story.

“I was told to go to this audition and I met Stefan Fangmeier, and we went through a couple of scenes together after which I was sent away with the script. He asked me back about a week later and then 10 days after that my dad called me and told me I had the part. And a week later I was in Hungary making the movie!”

He is married and they have two children together

Not a whole lot is known about Ed’s wife and how they met, but he is married to costume designer Asia Macey and they have been married since 2014. According to Distractify, Asia has worked in the costume department on HBO’s His Dark Materials, What’s Love Got to Do with It and Downton Abbey, which Ed used to be in.

Ed said YOU has got the portrayal of British high society ‘on point’

Ed Speelers stars as Rhys in YOU season four and in the final episode of the first part, Rhys Montrose was revealed as the Eat the Rich Killer. Everyone definitely gasped when it was revealed because you just couldn’t have guessed it would be him. Ed said that YOU’s portrayal of British high society was “on point”, in an interview with Radio Times.

He said: “Within this show, there’s definitely been an obsession with looking at high society, that’s obviously a running thread. I feel that it was interesting being a British actor seeing what the American take on it was. I feel like they’ve kind of got it on point.

Ed Speelers Rhys You

via Netflix

Ed currently has over 100,000 followers on Instagram

Ed’s Instagram followers have had a major increase since starring in you and he currently has 101,000 followers on the app. With just over 200 posts, he mainly shares photos of him on press tours, on set of various projects and some pretty good photography snaps.

He was in Downton Abbey and Outlander

As well as YOU, Ed has been in plenty of TV shows including Outlander and Downton Abbey. Ed was in two seasons of Downton Abbey and played Jimmy Kent, a footman at Downton Abbey.

Ed said starring on Downton Abbey was “a lot of fun” and received a positive reaction from fans. In an interview with Time Out, Ed said: “I’m still here, which I hope says something! I hope people enjoy what I’m doing – it’s a lot of fun to do it. My mum’s a big fan.”

Part one of season four of YOU is available on Netflix now, with part two dropping on March 9th. For all the latest Netflix news, quizzes, drops and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.