Married at First Sight UK Matt

‘I couldn’t stop crying’: Matt reveals the real reason he left the MAFS UK reunion

He called the environment he was in ‘toxic’

Married at First Sight UK star Matt Murray has revealed the real reason he left the reunion show during filming, and it wasn’t because he was being “aggressive” as Zoe and Jenna suggested. During the reunion special of Married at First Sight UK, viewers were confused as to why Matt left the show halfway through filming and he has since revealed it was because he felt he was “losing himself”.

Matt initially joined the show later than other couples, in a never before seen twist. Matt was partnered up with Gemma before things turned sour and he began a relationship with Whitney. While filming the reunion, the Yorkshire barber left midway during a chat with his ex-partner Whitney Hughes. His fellow co-stars Jenna and Zoe said his behaviour became so bad that he was asked to leave instead. However, Matt has since rubbished these claims.

Speaking with the Daily Record, Matt said he was “very emotionally overwhelmed” and “couldn’t stop crying”. “It was a lot. And when I woke up in the morning I was like, ‘this environment is toxic for me, I don’t want to be in this environment,'” Matt said.

He continued to say: “So I spoke to welfare and production and I said: ‘Look I would like to come and say my bit with Whitney and then I would like to, respectfully, leave. I don’t want to be around this anymore. It’s not good for me, it’s not good for my mind, I want to go.’ And they all agreed that was perfectly OK and then I left.”

via Channel 4

Matt went on to say he doesn’t understand why people make things up. “It’s not nice,” he said. The former Married at First Sight UK contestant admitted he felt “worn down” and “overwhelmed” following all the drama that ensued while he was on the show.

A spokesperson for Channel 4 said: “Contributor care is our priority at all times throughout this production. Appropriate support is available to contributors before, during and after filming and broadcast, including access to our experts and an independent psychologist. This support is proactively offered at every stage and, whenever requested, will be ongoing.

“Alcohol intake is monitored and limited across Married at First Sight UK shoots. Producers prioritise the contributor’s safety and wellbeing at all times.”

For all the latest Married at First Sight UK memes and tweets gossip and for the best memes and quizzes, like The Holy Church of Love Island on Facebook.