‘Too crazy to believe’: Netflix has a new true crime about John McAfee and people are shook

Wait, who knew the guy who invented McAfee antivirus went on the run for murder?!

Right, we need to talk about the new Netflix true crime film about John McAfee. It was released this week, and has gone straight into the number one spot in the top 10 list. If you’re wondering why that’s happened, it’s probably because the story it tells is absolutely wild.

Maybe I’ve been elsewhere, but it turns out the guy who invented McAfee antivirus software, yes John McAfee, went on the run after his neighbour was murdered? And now, Running with the Devil: The Wild World of John McAfee on Netflix is telling us all about it. Here’s what you need to know about the film, the case, and what people have been saying about it.

Running with the Devil: The Wild World of John McAfee on Netflix

via Netflix

Running with the Devil: The Wild World of John McAfee is all about this unbelievable story

The Netflix film tells the story of John McAfee. He’s the original computer genius gone rogue, inventor of one of the most successful (and most hated) pieces of software of all time: McAfee antivirus.

At his peak, John McAfee was worth $100million. But when his neighbour was murdered, McAfee went on the run – and invited a film crew with him. With access to hundreds of hours of never-before-broadcast footage of McAfee as he’s pursued by the authorities, the Netflix film tells the definitive story of a larger-than-life character, a man who ran for President, escaped from prison multiple times, and claimed to have hacked the world.

Yep, John McAfee was once a fugitive wanted for the murder of his neighbour in Belize. He was also caught up in tax evasion, known for drug-fuelled benders on super yachts and involved with cartels. When he began to make a lot of money, it’s safe to say McAfee went rogue. He was erratic at work, but his behaviour changed in the outside world, too.

via Netflix

After claiming to Fox News in 2019 he hadn’t paid tax for nearly 10 years, other charges in the US started to build up against him. These included civil law suits around two deaths, DUIs and possession of a firearm.

He spent a lot of time in a mansion in Belize that he owned. It was here that his neighbour, Greg Faull, was murdered. According to the Netflix doc, McAfee and Faull had fallen out, and later Faull had been found shot dead. McAfee had previously said police targeted him, and it’s been reported that at the time of the murder, McAfee believed the police would kill him if he came forward for questioning. So he went on the run. With a film crew, naturally.

People are calling the Netflix doc ‘too crazy to believe’ and ‘ludicrous’

It sounds quite wild, and people are saying that’s exactly what it is. People on Twitter are calling the film “ludicrous” and “too crazy to believe”. Others have said it is worth the watch, adding it is “a ride” and “nuts”.

Watch the trailer for Running with the Devil: The Wild World of John McAfee on Netflix

Running with the Devil: The Wild World of John McAfee is available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.