‘The wildest thing ever’: People ‘genuinely shocked’ by Netflix Woodstock 99 documentary

‘Woodstock 99 documentary is more horrifying than most horror movies I’ve seen’

This week, Netflix released a three part documentary series about the Woodstock 99 festival – and everyone is in agreement that it’s absolutely wild. People have been left gobsmacked by the show, after finding out just how much of a train wreck the event ended up being.

Woodstock 99 was meant to be a revival of the peace and love, beautiful festival of the 1960s. The 1960s version of the concert was generation defining, and went down in history as one of the most iconic events of its time. But, as the Netflix series shows, Woodstock 99 was anything but the same.

Trainwreck: Woodstock 99 on Netflix

via Netflix

Woodstock 99 turned to a disaster, and ended in riots and chaos

The Netflix series, Trainwreck: Woodstock 99, shows exactly how the event turned sour, how audience members felt they were treated like “animals” and rebelled, trashing the venue and quite literally putting it up in flames. People set fire to parts of the sets, rioted, and looted the merch areas. Violence erupted, there were reports of sexual assault, and three people lost their lives over the weekend.

Woodstock 99 has gone down in history as one of the biggest festival disasters there has ever been. It was called out for awful conditions, the security set up, and violence, crime and awful behaviour among the crowd.

The Netflix synopsis for the series reads: “Woodstock ‘99 was supposed to be a millennium-defining celebration of peace, love and great music. Instead, the festival degenerated into an epic trainwreck of fires, riots and destruction. Utilising rare insider footage and eyewitness interviews with an impressive list of festival staffers, performers and attendees, this docuseries goes behind the scenes to reveal the egos, greed and music that fuelled three days of utter chaos.”

Trainwreck: Woodstock 99 on Netflix

via Netflix

People are saying they are ‘genuinely shocked’ by the documentary which is ‘horrifying’ and ‘the wildest thing EVER’

The Guardian has reviewed the documentary and said it “doubles as a disaster movie”, a feeling mirrored by someone on Twitter who called it “more horrifying than most horror movies I’ve seen”. The Guardian reviews goes on to call the doc “a brisk and often horrifying watch.”

Twitter is definitely in agreement that it’s one of the most intense documentaries to ever hit Netflix. “It’s been a long time since a documentary genuinely has shocked me, but the Netflix series on Woodstock 99 is one of the wildest things I have EVER seen,” one said. Others have called it “horrifying”, recommended people watch it and said it makes Fyre Festival look tame.

Watch the trailer for Trainwreck: Woodstock 99 here

If this isn’t on your watch list for the weekend, make sure it is.

Trainwreck: Woodstock 99 is available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.