keir starmer boris johnson bullshitter conservative party leadership contest

‘A complete bullsh*tter’: Keir Starmer slams Boris Johnson in podcast rant

The Labour leader also slammed the Tory leadership candidates

Keir Starmer just called Boris Johnson “a complete bullshitter” who “took the piss out of the public”.

He also described the remaining three people in the running for leader of the Conservative Party as “B-grade candidates”, adding that he’d take any of them on.

His comments were made in an episode of The Rest is Politics– a podcast hosted by Alastair Campbell and Rory Stewart.

”I think that he is a complete bullshitter,” Starmer said, referring to Boris Johnson. “And I think he’s been found out and I’m really struck with the Partygate stuff because it wasn’t just that he did things which broke the rules.

”It’s that he then took the piss out of the public with his ridiculous defences afterwards.”

Later on in the podcast, the Labour leader said: “I think one of the biggest issues and challenges in politics now is that because of people like Johnson who debase politics and drag everybody into the gutter, there is this general sense that you’re all the same.

”And that is the most corrosive thing. Because once people think you’re all the same, they lose heart in the idea that politics is a force for good.”

Starmer then took aim at Rishi Sunak, Liz Truss and Penny Mordaunt- the final three in the race to become leader of the Tory Party and the next Prime Minister of the UK.

”I think they’re all B-grade candidates, I really don’t mind which of them I go up against…most of them are tainted by having propped up Johnson.

“It’s no good now Rishi Sunak saying now, ‘I’m the guy with principles, I’m the guy with integrity’. He propped him up for three years. Truss the same.

”I constantly get this question – which of them do you fear? I don’t fear any of them,” Starmer said.

For more politics and current affairs follow Agenda on Twitter.

Featured image: Shutterstock / Rupert Rivett

Related articles recommended by this writer:

• Quiz: Plan a night out and we’ll tell you which Tory villain you are

• The Tory MP who flicked her middle finger at people outside No.10 is now in charge of unis

• A definitive ranking of the Tory leadership election campaign videos from least to most nauseating