jimmy saville big brother

Why was Jimmy Savile on Big Brother and when did he appear?

He was only on for a short time

Jimmy Savile: A British Horror Story premiered on Netflix yesterday (6th April), revealing some shocking home truths about the disgraced former TV presenter.

Archival footage showed a variety of shows Savile starred in between 1960 and 2011 – including Jim’ll Fix It, Top Of The Pops and Clunk Click. In the second episode, however, viewers caught a glimpse into his short-lived stint in Celebrity Big Brother.

The featured clip showed the prolific sex offender entering the house and immediately being swarmed by celebrities. Each of them wanted a chance to meet him – but what exactly was Savile doing on Big Brother in the first place? And how long has it been since he was on?

jimmy saville

Photo via Netflix

Savile starred in Celebrity Big Brother back in 2006. The series is widely remembered for its eclectic mix of housemates – including Chantelle Houghton, George Galloway, Jodie Marsh and Pete Burns.

According to The Mirror, the former presenter earned £150,000 for his two-day stretch on the show. Although viewers may be led to believe he appeared as a housemate, this wasn’t actually the case. Savile actually led the series’ special task; in which the celebrities had to fix items around the house alongside him.

Just a few minutes into his appearance, he notably told Coronation Street actress Rula Lenska: “I would want to marry all of you ladies for at least 24 hours.”

He also remarked to Chantelle: “I know that many fellas love you, but they don’t love you with the sincerity and tenderness I do… I always tell the truth, even if I’m lying.”

prolific sex offender

Photo via Netflix

Netflix’s latest documentary shows Savile’s fall from grace. Once branded a “national treasure,” he’s now known as one of the most prolific sex offenders in British history.

Jimmy Savile: A British Horror Story is available on Netflix now.