will smith apology

Will Smith apologises to Chris Rock for slapping him in Instagram post

‘I was out of line and I was wrong’

Will Smith has issued an apology to Chris Rock after slapping him at the Oscars on Sunday evening following a joke Chris Rock made about his wife Jada Pinkett Smith.

He said his behaviour was unacceptable and there was no place for violence in an Instagram post last night.

Will Smith wrote: “Violence in all of its forms is poisonous and destructive. My behavior at last night’s Academy Awards was unacceptable and inexcusable.

“Jokes at my expense are a part of the job, but a joke about Jada’s medical condition was too much for me to bear and I reacted emotionally.

“I would like to publicly apologize to you, Chris. I was out of line and I was wrong. I am embarrassed and my actions were not indicative of the man I want to be. There is no place for violence in a world of love and kindness.”

via Instagram @willsmith

Will slapped Chris Rock on stage live during the Academy Awards on Sunday evening after Chris Rock made a joke directed at Jada about her hair, he said: “Jada, I love you. GI Jane 2, can’t wait to see it”. Jada currently suffers with alopecia.

Later in the evening Will went onto win the Best Actor award for his performance in the King Richard where he played Richard Williams, the father of Venus and Serena Williams.

via Instagram @willsmith

On his Instagram last night Will also apologised to the Academy Awards and the Williams family.

He said: “I would also like to apologize to the Academy, the producers of the show, all the attendees and everyone watching around the world.

“I would like to apologize to the Williams Family and my King Richard Family. I deeply regret that my behavior has stained what has been an otherwise gorgeous journey for all of us.

“I am a work in progress. Sincerely, Will.”

will smith chris rock oscars

Chris Rock has not responded to Will’s apology and has currently not filed a police report for the incident.

Following his slap Will also said to Chris: “Keep my wife’s name out of your f***ing mouth” and Chris responded with “I’m going to, okay?” and then laughed uncomfortably before saying: “That was the greatest night in the history of television”.