beauty-swaps

Here are 10 easy beauty swaps you can do to help save the environment

Elevate your daily skincare routine with sustainable practices

According to Zero Waste, the beauty industry produces more than 120 billion units of packaging each year. Sadly, the majority of this packaging is plastic and not biodegradable. It would take your average shampoo bottle nearly 1,000 years to decompose. The aim of sustainable beauty is to minimise the long-term environmental impact of the skincare and makeup products we use. As consumers we can make a collective effort to make more conscious choices as there is a growing number of companies that have have taken measures to make their brand more sustainable. Even one sustainable switch to your everyday routine is a positive step towards reducing your carbon footprint. The collective impact of everyone making a change could further encourage beauty industries to do better. In 2022, why not try these simple swaps for an eco-friendly beauty routine.

1. Throw out disposable face wipes and switch to reusable cotton pads

Did you know that by switching to reusable cotton pads you can save around 15kg of plastic a year. They are usually made from sustainably grown bamboo and cotton and will last you years. As well as being sustainable and 100 per cent biodegradable, they are actually better for your skin. Ecovibe and LookFantastic have sustainable cotton pads for under £10.

2. Solid soaps and shampoos reduce your plastic intake

Solid shampoo bars have been marketed by big beauty brands such as Garnier and Lush. The packaging free shampoo has zero plastic waste for the planet. What’s even crazier is that you actually get more product with about 95 per cent of bottled conditioners being made up of water. 

3. Purchase refillable products

There has been a growing number of refillable beauty products. The Body Shop has started their refill scheme and are rolling out refill stations. They plan to have 159 UK stores and 500 globally by the end of 2022. Refillable products empower people to reuse packaging rather than disposing it straight away. This is an easy, convenient and sustainable choice which embraces the circular economy.

4. Bamboo, bamboo, bamboo

A plastic alternative for your make up brushes is buying  products made from bamboo. Ecotools packaging is made of 100 per cent tree free paper, with 20 per cent cotton and 80 per cent bamboo fibres. Additionally using post-consumer recycled plastic, everything is 100 per cent recyclable.

5. Bioblender not beauty blender

The Bioblender is the first 100 per cent biodegradable beauty sponge made of only five ingredients. Ecotools claims that it can “degrade like any other food item you could otherwise compost, such as a banana peel in the garbage.”

6. Biodegradable wipes for on the go

Drugstore brand Simple have vegan wipes for only £3.65. These are made from 100 per cent plant based fibres which biodegrade in only 42 days under home and industrial compost conditions. This is perfect for when you are at festivals or backpacking.

7. Eco friendly tips over q tips

Did you know that more than one billion plastic handed swabs are produced every day. The Last Swab is the world’s first reusable cotton swab. One purchase of this and you are replacing 1,000 single use cotton swabs. They retail for only £11 and are perfectly designed for makeup touch-ups.

8. Cruelty free eyelashes

Sadly, many beauty brands use mink fur to create fake eyelash products. Often the animals are confined to small spaces which cause them immense stress and discomfort. That’s why it is important to look for vegan options that don’t use animal hair. Brands such as Ardell and Elf offer affordable and animal free eyelashes.

9. Look for aluminium packaging

It isn’t always possible for cosmetics to be package free. So if they do come packaged look for brands that use more eco-friendly materials. Aluminium is the third most present mineral on earth and the packaging is much better than plastic as it can be infinitely recycled.

10. Arms up, waste down!

Using natural deodorants means that all ingredients are derived from nature, instead of components like aluminium salts, parabens or sulphates which actually block your pores. Wild sells aluminium free deodorants with compostable, plastic free refills. This is the perfect eco-friendly alternative to plastic roll-ons or aerosol deodorants.

Related stories recommended by this author:

Here are 21 simple things you can do at uni to help the environment right now

The sustainability league: which uni is the most eco-friendly?

Glasgow Uni came 84th in the UK university sustainability rankings