best girl band vote

VOTE: Who is the best girl band of all time?

Girls Aloud until I die

Democracy is the most important tool at our disposal in society, and your right to vote will never have been as pivotal as the one you cast today. For today, you get to let your voice be heard on one of the most hotly debated and contested topics in the history of mankind: Which girl band is best? Girl groups shape our culture – as units releasing bop after bop and then as individuals, going on to craft their own solo careers that change pop culture forever. But which girl band is best? Here’s all you need to know about the girl band contenders before you cast your vote at the end:

Destiny’s Child

Destiny’s Child have been nominated for Grammys 14 times and are one of the most successful girl bands of all time. They’ve had a total of six members across their existence – but their most commercially successful and widely known lineup features three huge stars in their own right. Kelly Rowland, Michelle Williams and, of course, Beyoncé are absolute legends in their field, and it’s their star power that has helped them solidify themselves as one of the most renowned girl bands ever. Bangers include Say My Name, Bootylicious, Survivor and Independent Women.

Blackpink

Jisoo, Jennie, Rosé and Lisa make up Blackpink, the international sensation credited for globally popularising K-Pop and smashing records left, right and centre. They’re the highest charting and biggest selling Korean girl group in the US and the UK in history – and whether they’re singing in English or Korean you KNOW they’re going to bring the wall to wall bangers. Their biggest hits include How You Like That, Ice Cream (feat. Selena Gomez) and Kill This Love – as well as collaborating with the likes of Dua Lipa and Lady Gaga.

All Saints

All Saints’ debut album featured THREE number one singles, including Never Ever which is one of the greatest British pop moments in history. Melanie Blatt, Shaznay Lewis and Nicole and Natalie Appleton went on to have two more number one singles with Black Coffee and a little song known as PURE SHORES, a banger Madonna begged to have for her Ray Of Light album. They split for years before coming back with bangers like Rock Steady in 2005 and then made two albums that your mum would love in 2016 and 2018.

Sugababes

Sugababes burst onto the scene aged 15 – with the impeccable Overload. Written by the London teens Mutya Buena, Keisha Buchanan and Siobhan Donaghy it put the gals on the map as a band that were critically acclaimed and cool. After fallouts, Siobhan was replaced by Heidi Range and then the lineup infamously chopped and changed until it was Range, Amelle Berrabah and Jade Ewen. An ever evolving chameleon group who consistently pushed the boundaries of pop with slick harmonies. Iconic tracks include Freak Like Me, Push The Button, Round Round and Too Lost In You.

The Saturdays

Whilst they often paled in Girls Aloud’s shadow, Mollie, Una, Vanessa, Rochelle and Frankie produced a near impeccable collection of huge pop singles that rightly stands them amongst the biggest banger makers in girl band history. Hits include the titanic Ego, What About Us, Forever Is Over and All Fired Up.

Girls Aloud

Girls Aloud were a product of a show called Popstars: The Rivals – an X Factor style competition where girls and boys auditioned to win a place in rival bands to then compete for Christmas number one. Nicola Roberts, Cheryl Tweedy, Kimberley Walsh, Nadine Coyle and the late Sarah Harding formed Girls Aloud, smashed the pop world into smithereens with Sound Of The Underground and the rest was history. Iconic music and icons in life – the people’s voted girl band. Queens!

Bananarama

Between 1982 and 2009, good friends Sarah Dallin, Siobhan Fahey and Keren Woodward had 30 singles reach the top 50 on the UK Singles Chart – which is an insanely high amount. They’ve had huge hits with the likes of their cover of Venus, Really Saying Something, Shy Boy, Cruel Summer and Love In The First Degree.

Spice Girls

The most famous girl band of all time? Most probably. Geri, Victoria, Mels C and B and Emma were nothing short of a cultural phenomenon who put girl groups firmly back on the map and made the format cool again. Their accolades are endless. Best selling girl group of all time, one of the world’s best selling artists and the biggest thing to come out of the UK since The Beatles. Not that you need reminding, but hits include Wannabe, 2 Become 1, Spice Up Your Life and Say You’ll Be There.

TLC

Tionne, Lisa and Rozonda could get your best girl band vote due to the fact they have four of the most iconic girl band number ones ever under their belt. Unpretty, No Scrubs, Waterfalls and Creep all shot to the top of the chart and still sound just as fresh to this day. They’re the best-selling American girl band and they’ve got four Grammy Awards.

Atomic Kitten

best girl band vote

A Liverpool trio (originally featuring future Sugababe Heidi Range) consisting of Natasha Hamilton, Liz McClarnon and Kerry Katona and then later Jenny Frost had four weeks at number one with Whole Again, as well as five other top 10 hits. They’ve had a platinum selling number one album and a lot of reality telly mileage. Big icons, but do they get your best girl band vote?

The Pussycat Dolls

best girl band vote

With PCD, a former dance troupe managed the unthinkable: Turning themselves into one of the best selling girl bands in history. Fronted by Nicole Scherzinger’s undeniable vocal abilities and flanked by routines only they could dance, their string of hits including Don’t Cha, Jai Ho, Buttons and When I Grow Up helped them dominate the late 00s. They reunited without Melody Thornton last year with their excellent comeback single React.

Fifth Harmony

best girl band vote

The States’ answer to Little Mix (both formed on The X Factor) and really brought the bangers in their years together. Sledgehammer, Worth It, Work From Home (an ahead of its time pandemic predictor I fear!), and Down after Camila Cabello left to pursue her solo career. All of the girls have gone on to have solo endeavours, with Normani getting acclaim for the excellent Motivation and Wild Side.

Mis-Teeq

best girl band vote

Alesha Dixon, Su-Elise Nash and Sabrina Washington smashed the early 00s as Mis-Teeq, with seven consecutive top 10 hits and an irresistibly cool UK Garage sound that they had on absolute lock. Singles like Why and All I Want performed well, but it was Scandalous that will always be their signature banger. Alesha Dixon of course had a lot of solo success as well, both in her music, in her dancing and in her career as a TV judge.

Little Mix

best girl band vote

The one, the only. Little Mix have dominated the world for the past 10 years since they won The X factor (the first group ever to do so) and have numerous accolades and awards under their belt, alongside a string of hits that even your nan knows the words to. Jade, Perrie, Leigh-Anne and former bandmate Jesy have defined the last decade with their untouchable vocals and outspoken views on standing up for what’s right. Legends. But do they get your vote for the best girl band of all time?

Vote for your favourite girl band of all time below:

Recommended stories by this writer:

All 27 Sugababes singles ranked definitively from worst to best

• All 23 Girls Aloud singles, ranked definitively from worst to best

• Every Cheryl single ranked from great to greatest