Netflix’s next true crime series is about a sociopath who had 24 evil personalities

The series about the shocking case is being released this month

Netflix has a new true crime series on the way which looks at the chilling and landmark case of Billy Milligan. Milligan’s case was like no other, and ended up with him being diagnosed with having 24 different personalities. Monsters Inside: The 24 Faces of Billy Milligan is being released later this month.

The four-part Netflix series is about Milligan, who was suspected of sexual assaults in Ohio during the 1970s. It features interviews with the Milligan family, as well as friends, doctors, and the law enforcement professionals who’ve tried to untangle the truth.

Here’s what you need to know about the true crime series and the story it is based on, ahead of its release.

Monsters Inside: The 24 Faces of Billy Milligan and all about the real life story of new Netflix true crime

via Netflix

The latest Netflix true crime series examines the case of Billy Milligan

Monsters Inside: The 24 Faces of Billy Milligan looks back at the year of 1977, when a serial rapist struck at Ohio State University. Overwhelming evidence quickly led investigators to Billy Milligan, an aimless young man with a traumatic childhood and a criminal record.

Upon his arrest, Billy had no memory of the assaults, and his mannerisms seemed to change on the spot. A number of psychiatrists diagnosed him with multiple personality disorder (now known as dissociative identity disorder), eventually determining that as many as 24 distinct “multiples” existed within his mind. In a case that captivated the nation, their analysis anchored a first-of-its-kind legal defence strategy, and Billy was found innocent by reason of insanity. His trials, however, were far from over.

via Netflix

To this day, people question if Billy had made up suffering from the condition as a twisted yet convenient cover for a narcissistic sociopath. The Netflix synopsis reads: “In the late 1970s, an accused serial rapist claims multiple personalities control his behaviour, setting off a legal odyssey that captivates America.”

Watch the trailer for Monsters Inside: The 24 Faces of Billy Milligan here

Monsters Inside: The 24 Faces of Billy Milligan will be available on Netflix from September 22nd. For all the latest Netflix news, drops and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.