17-covid-jab

17-year-olds within three months of their 18th birthday can get their first Covid jab

You’ll need proof of two jabs to go clubbing from the end of September

17-year-olds who are within three months of their 18th birthday can now get their first Covid jab.

This means that incoming freshers will have plenty of time to get both vaccinations before clubs in England start demanding this as a condition of entry from the end of September.

Vaccine Minister Nadim Zahawi clearly had first-years in mind when he announced to Parliament yesterday that “we should offer the vaccine to all 17-year-olds who are within three months of their 18th birthday so that they are protected as soon as they turn 18.”

But freshers will need to get vaccinated sharpish, as they are advised to wait eight weeks until they can get their second jab.

It takes two weeks for the second jab to become fully effective, but government guidance isn’t clear on whether you’ll have to wait until after that period before you can go clubbing.

Some GPs are even offering second jabs after just three weeks, despite the recommendation people wait two months between doses.

So, if you want to go clubbing on October 1st and also plan to wait the full recommended eight weeks between doses, you’ll need to get your first jab before August 1st at the very latest.

Basically, there’s time but hurry the fuck up.

Despite nightclubs re-opening, Chief Scientific Adviser Patrick Vallance has warned that they could become “potential super spreading events.”

“I would expect that with opening of nightclubs, we’ll continue to see an increase in cases, and we will see outbreaks related to specific nightclubs as well,” Vallance said.

While nightclubs are now open in England, they remain closed in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

The Welsh government has also said that it will never require businesses to demand proof of a vaccination as a condition of entry.

Related articles recommended by this writer:

• A brief history of how the government pissed all over our trust during the pandemic

• Half a million people are calling for ID to be compulsory to make a social media account

• Online lectures are actually a really good idea and I’m glad they’re sticking around