Why Gigi Hadid was the voiceover for an episode of Never Have I Ever on Netflix

She was a guest narrator for an episode about Paxton in series two

Never Have I Ever has just returned for its second series with Netflix, which means more from the chaotic life of Devi and her wild love triangle with Paxton and Ben. When you weren’t completely caught up in trying to keep up with all that drama, you may have noticed that the familiar voiceover of Never Have I Ever changed for one episode in the new season – to global supermodel Gigi Hadid.

Whilst watching, this seemed absolutely wild. Gigi Hadid? Just randomly doing the narration of our favourite little show? Iconic. She’s a guest narrator for the third episode of season two, which looks more at the story of school heartthrob, Paxton Hall-Yoshida. The model shared the news on Instagram, posting: “Had the BEST time getting to narrate a new episode of @neverhaveiever — I got your back, Pax! Check out Season 2, NOW on @netflix !!!! Big love to @mindykaling & the whole NHIE team!”

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Gigi Hadid (@gigihadid)

She starts the episode by introducing Paxton, and then herself. She says that similarly to Paxton, she too was once a 16-year-old from California. She says she relates to him as they are both constantly underestimated because people only see them as sex symbols, when they have so much more going on inside. The episode then goes on to be a busy one for the school’s swimming star, without any spoilers.

So why was Gigi Hadid a voiceover in season two of Netflix series Never Have I Ever?

Never Have I Ever season two: Gigi Hadid is a voiceover for episode about Paxton following Chrissy Teigen bullying scandal

via Netflix

Ok, so you might be wondering why on earth Gigi Hadid even ended up as the voiceover on Never Have I Ever. The episode was originally meant to be narrated by Chrissy Teigen, but she was forced to back out of the show in June following accusations of her bullying online. It was only revealed that Hadid had taken over from the role when the show was aired.

Teigen was subject of a pretty public scandal when model and reality television personality, Courtney Stodden, accused Teigen of cyberbullying them. Teigen criticised Stodden on Twitter and reportedly sent direct messages to them telling them to kill themselves.

At the time, a spokesperson for the Netflix series said: “Chrissy Teigen has decided to step away from a guest voiceover role in one episode of the upcoming second season of Never Have I Ever. The role is expected to be recast.” Chrissy Teigen later apologised for her comments, admitting “I was a troll, full stop”.

But, following all that, we got the icon that is Gigi and her voiceover fits the episode perfectly. Netflix clearly tried to recast the role with someone who is very high up the Hollywood world, and boy did it work out.

Season two of Never Have I Ever is available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.