Britney Jamie Lynn Instagram

Explained: Why Britney Spears is calling out her sister Jamie Lynn on social media

‘I don’t like that my sister showed up at an Awards Show and performed my songs’

Since Britney Spears spoke out publicly and without holding back at her conservatorship hearing last month, things in her situation have been rapidly changing and the princess of pop finally seems to have the freedom to speak her mind and reclaim some agency. Britney has now been calling out her sister Jamie Lynn Spears publicly on Instagram.

Over the weekend, Britney has posted two scathing Instagram posts in which she holds people close to her accountable for staying silent when she needed them the most. Britney’s younger sister Jamie Lynn Spears, remembered to most for her lead role in the Nickelodeon show Zoey 101, was mentioned as being party to what Britney alleges as conservator abuse in her court speech in June.

Jamie Lynn put a widely criticised Instagram story up after Britney’s speech

Jamie Lynn put a big video on saying that she had kept quiet on Britney’s situation because she didn’t think it was her place to say anything. In the video, Jamie Lynn states that she has made a conscious choice to only love and support her sister, through tears. “Maybe I didn’t support her the way the public would have liked me to, with a hashtag on a public platform. But I can assure you I have supported my sister long before there was a hashtag, and I will support her long after. Note that.

“I don’t owe the public anything, because my sister knows I love and support her.”

The story gained criticism as Jamie Lynn has frequently stayed silent throughout the Free Britney movement, and when Britney made her testament in court, Jamie Lynn rushed to turn comments off on her social media rather than speaking up in support of her sister.

Britney’s recent Instagram posts widely contrast Jamie Lynn’s statement

Britney has become known for her cryptic Instagram posts over the years, which have become increasingly enigmatic due to increased control over her social platforms.

On Friday night, she posted a quote on Instagram and seems to reference Jamie Lynn’s Instagram story speech about supporting her sister. Britney said “how dare the people you love the most say anything at all… did they even put a hand up to lift me up at the time? How dare you make it public that now you care. Did you put your hand out when I was drowning?”

Britney Jamie Lynn Instagram

The following day, Britney called Jamie Lynn out directly in another angry post. In the Instagram caption, Britney defends her dancing videos that she often posts on Instagram and says she does it as an outlet due to being unable to perform because of her father Jamie’s restrictions on her as a result of the conservatorship.

Britney Jamie Lynn Instagram

Britney directly calls out Jamie Lynn on Instagram here for “showing up at an awards show and performed MY SONGS to remixes!” This is a direct reference to when Jamie Lynn performed in a Britney medley as “a surprise” for her sister, but this happened whilst Britney was still under strict restrictions from her conservatorship and had no agency on her own. In the video of the 2017 Radio Disney Music Awards, Britney tries to smile her way through it but it is clear when the smile drops that she’s unhappy.

“My so-called support system hurt me deeply! This conservatorship killed my dreams.”

Britney then appeared to mock an Instagram post by Jamie Lynn

Jamie Lynn Spears uploaded a picture of herself on Instagram with the caption “May the peace of the Lord be with you, and your spirit” on Sunday, with her comments switched off.

Britney then posted a video of herself dancing to Bad Guy on her Instagram, with the caption “May the Lord wrap your mean ass up in joy today”, and Jamie Lynn subsequently changed her Instagram caption to just emojis. A Free Britney account on Twitter created a thread detailing problematic behaviours Jamie Lynn Spears has exhibited towards her sister over the past decade, including how Jamie Lynn is quick to shrug herself off as “just Britney’s sister” when she was named as a trustee to Britney’s fortune back in 2018.

Britney Spears is getting her independence back bit by bit

In a weekend filled with boldy written Instagram captions, it’s clear that after Britney’s court testimony and the recent ruling that she can hire her own lawyer that the singer is finally on the way to her freedom. This weekend, she’s been pictured driving round in a car with her boyfriend Sam Asghari – something she said in court she hasn’t been able to do for nearly 13 years.

Sam Asghari also put on his story a video of Britney singing along to her own songs in the car, and she has TASTE because she is joyfully singing along to her self titled 2001 album’s deep cut Lonely. Sam also filmed Britney lay round the pool, and in the video she’s using her phone.

Featured image credit @britneyspears and @jamielynnspears.

Recommended stories by this writer:

• ‘I just want my life back’: Everything Britney Spears said in her historic court appearance

• Oh baby, baby: Here are all nine iconic Britney Spears albums ranked from worst to best

• The definitive ranking of Britney Spears music videos, based on how iconic they are