Charlie D’Amelio has now lost one million followers over personal chef controversy

‘I know I am a good person’

Charli D’Amelio’s latest controversy surrounding the first episode of her family’s new show has hit an ugly milestone as the TikTok star has lost in excess of one million followers on the app.

Dinner with the D’Amelios, a new YouTube show that sees the family dine with a new person of interest every week, welcomed makeup star James Charles as their first guest – but fans have started to unfollow Charli since the episode was released.

It’s unclear exactly which part of the episode is causing people to unfollow the world’s most-followed TikTok star, but a number of clips showing the sisters gagging on the food that was prepared by their professional chef, bragging over followers and generally being “rude” have circulated widely on social media.

Charli responded to the controversy with a tweet that promised fans she’d return with normal content: “Tomorrow I will be back posting normal content with a smile on my face! At the end of the day I know I am a good person with a good heart and I will never change that about myself. I love you all!”

In the episode, Charli made faces whilst their chef explained what he’d be cooking them for dinner, and then asked whether they could have ‘Dino Nuggets’ later on. Dixie was seen gagging when being told that there were snails in the paella, and then ran outside to “throw up”.

Although Charli and Dixie D’Amelio’s behaviour has been defended by a number of high profile social media accounts including Bar Stool Sports and James Charles himself, there have been vocal critics of the episode, including most vocally Trisha Paytas, who has put out a number of TikToks criticising the sisters.

@trishlikefish88##duet with @reddievintage♬ original sound – black lives matter!

On Wednesday evening Charli looked as if she’d be about to break the 100 million follower mark with 99.5 million followers, but since then the number has dropped to 98.4 million.