Ranked: These are officially the most watched series and films on Netflix ever

Ratched just became the biggest original season one of the year

Netflix is famously very secretive with its viewing figures. You hardly ever know how many people are watching different series or what are the most watched Netflix shows and films. The top 10 ten list gives you a rough idea of things that are popular at any given time, but that’s about it.

However, every now and then Netflix will release a small snippet of information about just how many tens of millions of viewers its original programmes have. Netflix released its top 10 watched films ever to Bloomberg and has also released some details of the most watched original shows and films. So we can finally find out, here they are.

Extraction – 99 million views

Most watched Netflix shows, Netflix, most watched, viewing, statistics, numbers, figures, highest, films, movie, series, shows, ever, worldwide, global, Extraction

Extraction is the most popular Netflix film, having been watched by nearly 100 million people. The action thriller was number one in the Netflix top 10 list over the May bank holiday this year. Those 99 million views were recorded in just the first four weeks of its release.

It stars Chris Hemsworth and the synopsis says: “A hardened mercenary’s mission becomes a soul-searching race to survive when he’s sent to Bangladesh to rescue a drug-lord’s kidnapped son.”

Bird Box – 89 million views

Most watched Netflix shows, Netflix, most watched, viewing, statistics, numbers, figures, highest, films, movie, series, shows, ever, worldwide, global, Bird Box

Bird Box, starring Sandra Bullock, was all everyone was talking about when it was released in 2018. The sci-fi horror film got nearly 90 million viewers on Netflix in the first four weeks of its release.

The synopsis reads: “Five years after an ominous unseen presence drives most of society to suicide, a survivor and her two children make a desperate bid to reach safety.”

Spenser Confidential – 85 million views

Spenser Confidential, Netflix, film, movie, figures, stats

Spenser Confidential probably caught the eye of 85 million people in the first four weeks of release because its imagery showed off the cast which includes Mark Wahlberg and Post Malone. The Netflix original film follows a former police detective who returns to the criminal underworld to solve a twisted murder conspiracy.

6 Underground – 83 million views

6 Underground, Netflix, film, movie, viewing, stats, figures

6 Underground was released on Netflix in December 2019. It’s no surprise it got so many views in its first four weeks, it does star Ryan Reynolds after all. The synopsis for the action thriller reads: “After faking his death, a tech billionaire recruits a team of international operatives for a bold and bloody mission to take down a brutal dictator.”

Murder Mystery – 83 million views

Most watched Netflix shows, Netflix, most watched, viewing, statistics, numbers, figures, highest, films, movie, series, shows, ever, worldwide, global, Murder Mystery

Netflix film Murder Mystery got 83 million views in its first four weeks of release. The film, staring Jennifer Aniston and Adam Sandler, is all about a New York City cop and his hairdresser wife who scramble to solve a baffling murder aboard a billionaire’s yacht.

The Old Guard – 78 million views

The Old Guard, Netflix, most watched, film, movie, ever

Netflix original movie The Old Guard starring Charlize Theron got 78 million views in its first month of release. The action fantasy film had a budget of around 70 million USD.

The Witcher – 76 million views

Most watched Netflix shows, Netflix, most watched, viewing, statistics, numbers, figures, highest, films, movie, series, shows, ever, worldwide, global, The Witcher

The Witcher has become Netflix’s most successful series, with it often being called Netflix’s answer to Game of Thrones. The fantasy series, based on the novel series and video game of the same name, raked in around 76 million views.

Enola Holmes – 76 million views

6 Netflix movies and shows to watch if you like Enola Holmes

Netflix’s Sherlock movie has become one of the most popular feature films of 2020. It stars Millie Bobby-Brown as Enola Holmes, the sister of detective Sherlock Holmes. However, the film caused Netflix to get caught up in a lawsuit – as the The Conan Doyle Estate, which owns the copyright for the last 10 Sherlock stories, is suing Netflix among other parties claiming copyright infringement and trademark violations.

Project Power – 75 million views

Project Power, Netflix, most watched

Netflix Action movie Project Power is up next – with an impressive 75 million hits in the first four weeks. The film has a lot of big names in the cast, including Jamie Foxx, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Dominique Fishback, Rodrigo Santoro, Courtney B. Vance, Amy Landecker and Machine Gun Kelly.

The Kissing Booth 2 – 66 million views

Kissing Booth 2

It turns out a lot of people really care about Dance Dance Nation and the trials and tribulations of Elle and Noah, because The Kissing Booth 2 is one of Netflix’s most successful movies. The rom-com sequel had 66 million views.

Money Heist (season four) – 65 million views

Money Heist, Netflix, stats, figures, viewing, numbers

The next most popular series is Money Heist, with season four getting around 65 million views. The creator of Money Heist, Álex Pina, is also the creator of other Netflix show White Lines. The series is set in the Mediterranean and all about sex, drugs and drama. The Netflix synopsis says: “Eight thieves take hostages and lock themselves in the Royal Mint of Spain as a criminal mastermind manipulates the police to carry out his plan.”

Tiger King – 64 million views

Tiger King, Netflix, viewing, statistics, numbers, figures

Tiger King was released in March this year, and boy what a time that was. Remember when nobody knew who Joe Exotic was? Now we are all obsessed with the Tiger King himself and his showdowns with Carole Baskin. The series takes a look inside his zoo and focuses on his arrest for the murder-for-hire plot of Carole Baskin – which Exotic is now serving 22 years in jail for. 64 million people watched what is definitely one of the wildest true crime docuseries ever to be released on Netflix.

The Irishman – 64 million views

Most watched Netflix shows, Netflix, most watched, viewing, statistics, numbers, figures, highest, films, movie, series, shows, ever, worldwide, global, The Irishman

Equaling Tiger King, in the first four weeks of it being released, The Irishman had 64 million views on Netflix. The drama film is based on the 2004 nonfiction book I Heard You Paint Houses by Charles Brandt  The synopsis reads: “Hit man Frank Sheeran looks back at the secrets he kept as a loyal member of the Bufalino crime family in this acclaimed film from Martin Scorsese.”

Stranger Things – 64 million views

Stranger Things is a Netflix staple, it’s one of the most successful series ever released and we all love Eleven and the gang. 64 million people watched season three. It’s no surprise this is up there in the most watched Netflix shows ever.

The Wrong Missy – 59 million views

The Wrong Missy, Netflix, most watched, ever, movies, films, series, shows, ranking

The Wrong Missy is a comedy about a disaster which strikes when a man invites his dream girl to an island resort – but a previous blind date shows up instead. Obviously a lot of people love the chaos that sounds like.

You (season two) – 54 million views

You, Netflix, viewers

We get it, we’re all obsessed with Joe Goldberg. Season two of You got a considerable amount more viewers than season one – with 54 million when season one had 40 million viewers. It looks like we all just love to find out who creepy Joe is going to get obsessed with next.

Triple Frontier – 52 million views

Triple Frontier

Triple Frontier is an action heist film about former Special Forces operatives who reunite to plan a heist in a sparsely populated multi-border zone of South America. 52 million households viewed it in the first four weeks.

American Murder: The Family Next Door – 52 million views

American Murder Becomes Netflix Most Watched Doc Feature

American Murder has become Netflix’s most watched documentary film. The true crime film is all about the 2018 Watts family killings – where Chris Watts was found guilty of killing his pregnant wife Shanann and their two young daughters. He is currently serving five life sentences with no chance of parole. 

Too Hot To Handle – 51 million views

Most watched Netflix shows, Netflix, most watched, viewing, statistics, numbers, figures, highest, films, movie, series, shows, ever, worldwide, global, Too Hot To Handle

Too Hot To Handle has taken the spot of most watched dating show on Netflix, with 51 million viewers. The series was released in April this year and everyone soon couldn’t get enough of the idea of sticking a bunch of hot, horny people in a villa and telling them they can’t touch each other.

Cobra Kai – 50 million views

YouTube's 'Cobra Kai' represents the best of YouTube Originals — but that may not be enough

50 million households tuned in to watch the first season of Cobra Kai on Netflix. It’s a martial arts comedy-drama series based on The Karate Kid films and has become one of the most watched shows on Netflix.

The Perfect Date – 48 million views

Noah Centineo, The Perfect Date, Netflix, movie

48 million people thought it would be a good idea to watch an hour and a half of Noah Centineo in a rom-com. Fair.

Ratched – 48 million views

Ratched, Netflix, viewers, figures, stats

We were all hooked on the antics of Nurse Ratched. In a tweet, Netflix announced: “In its first 28 days, 48 million members have booked an appointment with Nurse Ratched, making it our biggest original Season 1 of the year.”

These statistics are based on Netflix’s new “two minute metric”. This means that a “view” is classed as anyone who watched the show or film for two minutes or more.

For all the latest Netflix news, drops and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.