The full story behind the Australian TikTok everyone’s going mad for rn

‘I will not be lectured about misogyny by this man’

I want to take a minute to thank Joshua Zitser, who over the last few days has been tweeting a series of similar TikToks, all using the same audio of an Australian MP talking over Doja Cat’s Boss Bitch, and all featuring ladies doing boss bitch things like dyeing their hair, or putting on clothes. He is doing God’s work. Anyway, it’s difficult to explain why the Australian MP TikTok format is so great, so just watch one:

Amazing, right? But where is the original audio from? And who is the queen behind it all? I have these answers, and if you read on for one minute and 30 seconds so will you.

What is the Australian MP TikTok and where did it come from?

The clip was from 2012, taken from the Australian Parliament. It shows the MP calling for the opposition leader, Tony Abbott, to be removed after Abbott called for the resignation of Peter Slipper, the speaker.

“I say to the Leader of the Opposition I will not be lectured about sexism and misogyny by this man,” she says. “I will not. And the Government will not be lectured about sexism and misogyny by this man. Not now, not ever.

“The Leader of the Opposition says that people who hold sexist views and who are misogynists are not appropriate for high office.

“Well, I hope the Leader of the Opposition has got a piece of paper and he is writing out his resignation. Because if he wants to know what misogyny looks like in modern Australia, he doesn’t need a motion in the House of Representatives, he needs a mirror.”

The full speech is actually way longer, and you can read it here.

Who is the woman in the video?

Her name is Julia Gillard, and she served as Australia’s Prime Minister from 2010 to 2013. She’s the only woman to hold the positions of Deputy Prime Minister, Prime Minister and major party leader in Australia.

Read more about Julia Gillard’s political career here.

What is the song they’re using?

The song is Boss Bitch, by Doja Cat. It’s done the rounds on TikTok a few times, notably in formats involving or parodying the slow-motion camera at the Golden Globes.

Best examples of the Australian MP TikTok

Follow The Holy Church of TikTok for all things TikTok.

Related TikToks recommended by this TokTik:

Can someone explain why couples on TikTok are flashing each other for clout?

Tiger King’s Doc Antle is on TikTok and he hangs out with Logan Paul

11 TikTok dances you need to learn while in quarantine