Image may contain: Teen, Face, Human, Person, Phone, Cell Phone, Electronics, Mobile Phone

These are the 15 podcasts every girl needs to listen to right now

From The Guilty Feminist to Yo Is This Racist?

There are few better things than listening to a really good podcast. They are the perfect soundtrack for a long journey, to blare while you're cleaning or for when you just need to plug your headphones in and relax. And podcasts in 2019 are at the top of their game. Women are having critical conversations about race, sex, friendships, university and work.

There is literally something for everyone, whether you want to learn more about relationships, be inspired by tales of failure, or listen to interviews with some of the most influential people in the world.

To make sure you never run out of podcast recommendations, here's a list of 15 best podcasts which every girl has to listen to right now:

1. The High Low

Hosted by journalists Dolly Alderton and Pandore Sykes, 'The High Low' is a weekly news and current affairs podcast – it is also a millenial's bible. The High Low covers the trivial to the intellectual, from deep dives into The Kardashians, the Met Gala and Love Island, to the Me Too movement, the epidemic of anxiety, and emotional labour.

The High Low also provides endless lists of book, podcast and TV recommendations, which is just another reason why it is the one stop shop for everything news and pop culture. It is a mixture of discussions between the hosts, and interviews with guests such as Fatima Bhutto. It's made even more of a gem by how funny and honest its presenters are. Every girl needs to listen to this podcast.

2. How To Fail with Elizabeth Day

Elizabeth Day explores, discusses and challenges the notion of failure, in her podcast 'How To Fail'. The podcast is made up of interviews with celebrities like Phoebe Waller Bridge, Jamie Laing, and numerous influential writers like David Nichols and Otegha Uwagba, and revolves around discussions of their biggest failures.

How To Fail is an uplifting take on why we fail, what failure means and ultimately, how to fail better. Day's interviews explore a range of issues, from failed exams to one night stands, and infertility. Standout episodes include the interview Farrah Storr, which gives an enlightening insight into the concept of 'Having it all-ish', and Elizabeth Day's interview with herself, which discusses fertility in a way that is sorely lacking in mainstream media.

3. Guys We F***ed

This podcast has changed the way that we think about female sexuality, and this is why it is a necessity for every girl to listen to it. In the beginning of the debut episode host Krystyna Hutchinson states that "We're saying, have a lot of sex and be proud of it" – so for sex positivity, anti slut shaming, and an open and positive discourse on female sexuality, look no further.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bya8RzcH_Eb

4. My Favourite Murder

'Stay sexy, and don't get murdered'. My Favourite Murder is a weekly true crime podcast by Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark. The podcast is brutally honest and hilarious in spite of its subject matter, and integrates conversations surrounding misogyny. My Favourite Murder is a totally different way of discussing true crime, with more humour, compassion and hope, giving it the perfect balance from the scary true crime, to the laugh out loud humour.

5. This Muslim Girl Podcast

Every girl has to listen to the This Muslim Girl podcast. It is based on sharing stories to empower women, and is hosted by Noor Qwaf, who was born in Yemen and raised in California. The podcast tackles issues from how Muslim men can be better allies to Muslim women, the me too movement, and discussions and stigma surrounding hijabs.

6. The Guilty Feminist

The Guilty Feminist is one of the best podcasts for learning about feminism, from the pride of being a feminist, to hypocrisy and insecurities. Hosted by the comedian Deborah Frances-White, and a series 'The Guilty Feminist' discusses topics that 'all 21st century feminists agree on'. This is the perfect way to learn more about feminism, which is why it is something that every girl needs to listen to.

7. The Heart of It with Estée Lalonde

Estée Lalonde is a prominent YouTuber and podcaster, and her first podcast series is pure gold, and is something that every girl needs to listen to.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BW0Ai0ajpto

Lalonde explore subjects which are important to her, and her guests, in a series that focuses on women, and the issues important to them. From travelling, to make up, to protests, this podcast is a celebration of all things female.

8. Good Muslim Bad Muslim

Good Muslim Bad Muslim is a monthly podcast by Tanzila Ahmed and Zahra Noorbakhsh, which discusses the American Muslim female experience, from the good to the bad. This podcast is equal parts honest and hilarious, and is an essential for every girl who wants to learn more about the muslim female experience.

9. Stuff You Should Know

Stuff You Should Know is a classic, and should be a staple in every girl's podcast directory. Want to learn about anything and everything, from how Magic Mushrooms Work, to Rosa Parks, the American Political system and beyond? Stuff You Should Know is the place to go. The podcast is made up of discussions about anything and everything, from the essential to the trivial, that everyone needs to know.

10. David Tennant Does A Podcast With…

If you aren't sold on the idea of the former Doctor Who doing a podcast, then you will be when you see that it's guests include Olivia Coleman, Tina Fey and Gordon Brown. David Tennant's podcast is a funny, lighthearted and intelligent, and provides a detailed analysis of the lives of influential celebrities, and the pop culture which surrounding them and us.

11. Women's Prize for Fiction Podcast

For lovers of books, journalism, the 'Women's Prize for Fiction Podcast', has some of the UK's most influential women, from the editor of Vice to Dolly Alderton. This is a great podcast if you're interested in female oriented literature, as the Women's Prize for Fiction is one of the most prestigious literary awards in the world. The series discusses what feminism means to millennials, forgotten female writers and inspirational women who have been written out of the narrative.

12. Ways to Change the World

For the rainy days where today's political climate is just a bit too much, 'Ways to Change the World' is hosted by Krishnan Guru-Murthy and has discussions with numerous influential people, from Rose McGowan on Weinstein and the MeToo movement to Johnny Marr on Morrisey and Jameela Jamil on airbrushing. If you want to learn, or become energised to have a discussion about what needs to change, this podcast is an necessity.

13. Yo, Is This Racist?

Yo, Is This Racist, covers topics surrounding race in a way that is relevant, interesting and non-judgemental, so if you're wanting to learn more about race, this podcast is a must listen.

14. Getting Curious with Jonathan Van Ness

Getting Curious features Jonathan Van Ness from Queer Eye, as he explores topics from immigration, to Erin Brockovich. It is a lovely and funny podcast, which details critical political and cultural issues, in a way entertaining, informative and accessible.

15. Love Stories

This is another Dolly Alderton podcast because she is the queen of podcasts. Love Stories is made up of interviews with guests such as Lilly Allen and Ruth Jones, about their most defining relationships.

The podcast is about love, from passion to heartbreak and longing to familiarity, Love Stories explores how each of Alderton's guests have formed who they are, through their relationships.

Related stories recommended by this writer

26 books every feminist should read before the age of 26

Why every girl should be watching Fleabag

Books every girl needs to read after graduation