
Battle of the MAFS restraining orders! Jacqui and Ryan’s eye-roll legal battle, explained
Crazy thought – have they tried just not posting awful stuff about one another?
MAFS Australia couple Jacqui Burfoot and Ryan Donnelly are now in a battle of the restraining orders after their marriage utterly tanked during season 12.
Jacqui and Ryan might be the most exhausting couple in MAFS Australia history. They got off to a cracking start, but almost immediately cracks began to show in their relationship and Jacqui was soon issuing some of the strangest monologues in reality TV. Ryan met her crazy with abhorrent comments about their sex life, and it’s basically been that chaotic ever since.
Things took a legal turn this week when Jacqui was granted an interim restraining order, but if you thought that was the end of Jacqui and Ryan, then you’ve got another thing coming because Ryan met her restraining order with one of his own. Here’s the chaos simply explained.
Jacqui filed a restraining order against MAFS’ Ryan on Monday
Earlier this week, it was revealed that Jacqui Burfoot had been granted an interim restraining order against her on-screen groom, Ryan Donnelly. According to The Canberra Times, she attended court on Monday 31 to lodge complaints about Ryan over his social media posts and a specific interview he did with the MailOnline.
Launceston magistrate Sharon Cure warned Jacqui that misleading the court was a serious crime, but the official was ultimately happy to grant the restraining order because Jacqui was harmed by Ryan’s social media posts. The order is said to state Ryan cannot “directly or indirectly threaten, harass, abuse or publish on social media denigrating material,” and Jacqui was also warned “against publishing material.”
Most Read
Jacqui reportedly requested to serve the order to Ryan via social media, but Sharon Cure is said to have responded: “No, using social media to serve restraining orders is completely inappropriate.”
Ryan has now issued an ‘apprehended violence order’
In response to Jacqui’s restraining order, the MailOnline reported that Ryan filed an apprehended violence order (AVO) against his ex-wife at Campbelltown Courthouse on Tuesday.
Legal terms can be a little confusing, but according to Australian Family Lawyers, restraining orders, intervention orders, apprehended violence orders, and domestic violence orders are pretty much the same thing. They stipulate strict rules to adhere to and are designed to protect a person from physical and mental harm and harassment. AVOs are almost exclusively used in the New South Wales area.
So what’s next? According to the Mail’s report, Ryan is set to appear in court on April 23, where the fate of his AVO against Jacqui will be decided.
We haven’t heard the last of Jacqui and Ryan, have we?
For all the latest MAFS news, scandals, gossip and updates – like The Holy Church of MAFS on Facebook.
Featured image credit: Nine