Meet York’s up and coming DJs

When they’re not making sick beats they sometimes go to lectures

Want to know what the cool kids are listening to at the moment? Here to tell you are York’s new up-and-coming student DJs.

Meet:

Habitual

When did you start DJing?

I had my club debut last October

What kind of genre are you?

I try and explore the cultures of my two favourite musical cities- London and Detroit. So at it’s essence, bass and house music with a strong funk and soul influence. But I’ll be focusing on more Hip-Hop soon!

Where do you play in York?

At Mansion Underground as a resident for Animaux. I also play at The Nook sometimes.

What are you listening to at the moment?

I’ve been playing the Adrian Younge/ Delfonics track “Stop and Look” on repeat lately.

What’s your favourite club in York?

Well it’s not a club per se, but Sotano’s for sure. The music is always killer.

OnlyArian

When did you start DJing?

Fresher’s Week 2013

What kind of genre are you?

I don’t like limiting myself to a genre… but you’ll usually find me playing some Jackin’ House, Garage and a bit of Grime too.

Where do you play in York?

I’ve just started a new night called Drop at Mansion on Monday nights. I also play sets for the ‘BlackBox’ and ‘Trap House’ (who do room 2 at Get On Up).

All About She – Dream Of You. I’ve also been listening to a lot of D’Angelo recently.

What’s your favourite club in York?

Mansion.

Richard Osho

When did you start DJing?

Around year 12 of sixth form.

What kind of genre are you?

I’ve mainly been mixing hip hop and Rnb which is quite a niche here in York.

Where do you play in York?

Last year it was Kuda Tuesdays, now I play at Mansion for a new night called Drop. I also have my own night on campus called Aphrodisiac

Codeine crazy by Future, Young Thug… and Free Gucci

Watch these faces people- it could be Mansion today, Berghain tomorrow for one of these lads…

Besides, when you’re drunkenly trying to shout a request at the DJ, it never hurts to remember a few fun facts about him first.