Families of Grace and Barney vow to get justice after man pleads not guilty to murder

‘We will leave no stone unturned in ensuring justice is properly served for Barnaby and Grace’

The families of Barnaby Webber and Grace O’Malley-Kumar, who were killed in attacks in June, have vowed to “leave no stone unturned in ensuring justice is properly served.”

Valdo Calocane, pleaded not guilty to the murder of Barnaby and Grace instead pleading guilty to manslaughter by reason of diminished responsibility on Tuesday.

The students were both fatally stabbed in the early hours of the morning of June 13th 2023 on Ilkeston Road.

In a joint statement issued to the PA news agency, the families of Barney and Grace, said: “The loss of our children has devastated our families; our grief has no boundaries.

“Over the past five and a half months, we have struggled to come to terms with the needless and horrific attack that led them both losing their lives and their bright futures on 13th June.

“We will leave no stone unturned in ensuring justice is properly served for Barnaby and Grace and for all those affected by the devastating events of that evening.

“We have taken great comfort from the support we have received from the public and will push to make sure lessons are learnt from this case.”

Calocane also pleaded guilty to the attempted murders of three pedestrians after hitting them with a van he had allegedly stolen from Mr Coates.

Karim Khalil KC, prosecuting said that the Crown would need further time to decide whether Calocane’s pleas were acceptable or not.

Judge Mr Justice Turner then adjourned the case until 16th January.

Featured image via social media. 

Man admits killing three people including students Grace and Barney in Nottingham 

Nottingham student attacks: A timeline of the tragic events which ended in three deaths 

Trial date set for 2024 as Nottingham student attacks suspect appears in court