Nottingham student who died from heroin overdose ‘showed no signs’ of drug abuse at home

Gus Coombes was described as ‘lovely and articulate’ with ‘so much to give’


An inquest has heard that a Nottingham University student, who died from a drug and alcohol overdose, “showed no signs” of substance abuse whilst at home.

Augustine Coombes, known to his friends as Gus, was found dead in his Denison Court student accommodation in Radford on October 4th of last year.

An inquest found that Gus a 21-year-old Law student at Nottingham Trent University,  had unintentionally overdosed on heroin and alcohol, reports Nottinghamshire Live 

Gus’ mum Sarah Coombes described him as “lovely and articulate” with “so much to give.” The inquest into his death was held on 15th August, where healthcare professionals recalled his history of illegal drugs and alcohol abuse.

Gus had received the appropriate support from NTU, but his engagement was described as “sporadic”, assistant  coroner Rebecca Covington said.

Speaking from her home via video link at the hearing, Ms Coombes said she had “no idea” about Gus’ substance abuse of hard drugs whilst he was away at university. She recalled the hours she spent watching TV shows with her son drinking coffees and a variety of teas. She told the hearing: “He was very, very close to me. When he was back with me he rarely drank.”

PC Sarah Gooch of Nottinghamshire Police, confirmed to the inquest that there were no signs of any third-party involved in the Gus’ death.

Ms Covington concluded the process by saying: “It is clear Gus would have had a lot to offer. He had a long history of poor mental health since childhood and had a long standing issues of substance abuse, both illegal drugs and alcohol.

“I’m satisfied he was offered the appropriate support, unfortunately his engagement was sporadic. He didn’t always attend appointments.”

She added that whilst Gus had previously expressed suicidal thoughts, there was nothing further to support the conclusion of suicide, instead his death has been ruled as an accidental overdose.

Featured image via Google Maps. 

Related articles recommended by this author:

• Nottingham student dies at university accommodation from ‘substance toxicity’

• The Killers pay tribute to Barnaby Webber during Reading Festival set

• Inquests into the deaths of Nottingham stabbing victims set to open