The university has scrapped Leisure Leagues

They’re being replaced by ‘student-only’ leagues

The university has scrapped the popular “Leisure Leagues” in favour of a “student-only” league.

Last year, the University took action to provide its students with a more accessible route to regular football than IMS, by starting its own seven-a-side league.

As a result, they sent notice to Leisure Leagues, suggesting they find an alternate venue from October this year.

But a Loughborough University spokesperson noted the difficulty of the situation to the Echo: “As a University we do have a duty to prioritise our fee-paying students who we firmly believe should have full access and affordable opportunities to play sport at our facilities on campus.

“Although we are aware of the implications for Leisure Leagues, we do believe this is the right decision for our student community.”

While the University is looking out for its students best interests, it’s safe to say the decision has ruffled a few local feathers.

Peter Yardley, a local who has played in the league for almost 10 years, told the Echo: “We supported the University in everything it does over the years, and all they are doing now is kicking sports people like me in the community in the teeth, and it is simply not on.”

Chris Rowntree, a spokesman for Leisure Leagues, revealed they emailed teams with news the league would be finishing in October, before they received “a flood of complaints”. It has not gone down well.

He said: “Although we respect the University’s decision, I won’t hide the fact that we are extremely disappointed, particularly as it will mean that so many people in Loughborough will now not be able to play competitive sport and this cannot be a good thing for Loughborough itself.”

But while unfortunate for the local sporting community, student interest has soared.

There is great demand for this kind of league, it’s just a shame it may increase local tensions.