Third year swimmer on brink of qualification for the Rio Olympics

He’s got great abs

Final year Dan Sweeney is hoping to clinch the Olympic breaststroke qualifying time this month and has set his sight on representing Ireland in the pool at next year’s Olympic Games in Rio.

We caught up with the 22-year-old Design Ergonomics high flyer to see how he manages to balance those early starts with a hectic training schedule, uni work and social life.

Hi Dan, what got you into swimming in the first place?

I started swimming when I was about seven years old and living in America. I lived in Houston, Texas and there was 24 outdoor 50m pools, probably more than in the whole of Great Britain, so it was a pretty good environment to learn how to swim.

I remember the club got me to swim a 300m warm-up on the first day, and I had no idea what 300 was. Turns out it was up and back 6 times. I remember being in shock. I did it, but it took me a long time – longer than it would take me now.

Dan, far left, often starts training at 5:30 am

What do you like most about swimming?

Racing, definitely. Just racing people, to be honest, when you swim 20 hours a week, it’s a bit boring at times. I probably enjoy the harder sets more than the easier ones, because it’s more challenging, and there’s more to think about.

How often do you train?

About 18-20hrs in the pool per week, about six hours of weights in Powerbase, then about two hours of circuits a week as well. Monday, Wednesday and Friday we start at 5:30am, so we’re up just before  five in the morning.

The third year hopes to bag a place in the Irish team soon

What’s your best event and why?

200m breaststroke is my best event. As a kid I was ranked higher in the 100m breaststroke than all the other events and it kind of got into my head at that point that was what I was best at. It probably came a bit more naturally to me. Since then I’ve never really looked back. Pretty much since my first competition that’s been my main event.

I heard you’re gunning for Rio 2016?

Yeah, I have to hit a qualifying time, and once I hit that I’m pretty much guaranteed to go. If I quality I’ll be swimming for Ireland, absolutely Ireland, I consider myself 100% Irish.

I’m pretty close to the qualifying time at this stage. Right now, I’d probably be more disappointed if I didn’t get it, because I think it’s well within me. I know how much work it’ll take, but I’m willing to put in the effort. I can qualify at any meet before June-time, so I’ll probably target a meet in April to have a good go at it.

Dan, clothed

Do you think you have to have certain characteristics to be a swimmer?

I guess so, you need to be pretty hard-working, and maybe a bit crazy to get up at whatever time in the morning. I think work ethic is the main thing, swimmings not a natural thing for anyone, humans aren’t born to swim. The main thing is to work hard at it, and I think i you asked any top swimmer they’d say the same.

Does swimming make you ripped?

Yeah it does. The diet comes into it a lot. I take care of my own diet a lot, but I’d say it keeps you in decent shape.

Do you still get to go out and drink though?

September, October we go out a bit, and then last year I went out at new years but wasn’t allowed out until the summer. I think at times it’s bad to get too bogged down. I honestly think sometimes you’ve gotta have a bit of fun, and I’ve fallen into the trap of not doing that sometimes, just taking it a little too seriously, when sometimes you just need to take a step back and relax.

But I very rarely would go drinking. All the training doesn’t really allow for it, and I’m usually way too tired on the weekends to go out. Occasionally after a big competition we might find the time for a few drinks though.