Loughborough fresher cycles around the globe

It’s probably some kind of record

Last week incoming Loughborough fresher Tom Davies, 19, from South London, returned home after a six and a half month journey that saw him cycle 18,046 miles – covering 21 countries and spanning four continents.

It is hard to imagine why somebody would want to put themselves through such an endeavour, so we asked him.

After searching for something to do on his gap-year, Tom decided to take on this momentous challenge, raising over £60,000 for charity along the way.

Blending his love for cycling with his desire to see the world “it just seemed like a good way to combine the two”

Tom preparing for his adventure

However, this was not Tom’s first long-distance cycle.  At the age of 15 he completed a trek from London to Chamonix in the Alps, falling in the love with the sport along the way.

Tom’s route took him from London to Istanbul, across Asia, over to Australia and through the United States.  “It is quite a long way, it’s hard to think of it all as the same trip.  I haven’t quite got my head around it yet.”

Despite visiting more places in six months than most do in a lifetime, current global affairs meant Tom could not visit everywhere he intended – “I was going to go to Iran but they wouldn’t even give me a visa there, which is a shame.”

Undeterred by this setback, Tom continued defiantly meeting many friendly faces along the way. “I mean pretty much everywhere people were amazing, all the over the world they were so friendly which is something I didn’t necessarily expect.”

Tom (right) with an Australian cycling team

He then explained the story behind this photo, taken on the coast of Australia, just outside Adelaide.  “The cycling team in Australia, that was basically a friend of a friend.  He let me stay with him for the night and then rode with me that day with some of his mates.”

The trip however, was not all smiles for Tom as he was faced with numerous obstacles and misfortunes.  Riding through winter against the snow and rain, bad knee problems and a serious case of food poisoning marred his first leg from London to Istanbul, which he revealed was the toughest to overcome.

However, his worst day came in Burma.  “The heat just got me and my whole body started cramping up. My jaw would start cramping if I yawned”, he said.

“There were definitely times that I thought ‘I have no idea how I’m going to get through this’, but I never really gave myself the option of giving up.”

Fortunately, the hard times were short-lived, and the positives Tom found along the way kept his spirits aloft.  While in Thailand he reunited with his family for five days to celebrate his sister’s 18th birthday.  “It was just a nice break from everything.”

Tom and his sister celebrating in Thailand

As well as managing to cycle around the world, it is important to remember Tom also raised over £60,000 along the way for charities that clearly hold a special place in his heart – Prostate Cancer UK, the Sohana Research Fund and Carney’s Community.

The Sohana Research Fund is a charity that supports the research and victims of Recessive Dystrophic Epidermolysis Bullosa – an often fatal skin blistering condition.  The charity was formed by the parents of 13 year old Sohana, a family friend of Tom’s.  He said, “What she goes through everyday is awful and she’s an inspiration. She’s so mature and what she deals with is just incredible.”

Carney’s Community is another charity close to Tom, as it aims to aid disadvantaged young people in the area.  Tom said: “I’m really lucky to be able to do what I’ve done, just because of the backing that I’ve had.  It’s important for me to be able to give back to those who don’t have the opportunity.”

Tom returning home

Now that this chapter of Tom’s life can be put to rest, he is anxious to embark on his newest adventure – becoming a student at Loughborough University, studying Materials Engineering.

“I went to look round it and really liked it, but the stand-out thing was the sport.  I have no idea where I can go with cycling, but I think that Loughborough is a good place to find out.”

Ross Simmons Chairman of the Cycling Club said: “The Loughborough AU always welcomes people who are dedicated and passionate about their sport. Tom’s achievement shows abundance of that, and I look forward to riding with him and the rest of the LSCC this year.”