Vice-chancellor Bob cashes in on jammy £20,000 expenses including £12,000 on business class flights

He earns nearly twice as much as the Prime Minister

Greedy vice-chancellor Robert Allison trousered a whopping £20,138 in expenses last year — on top of his already generous £220,000 salary. 

Fat-cat Bob, 54, also claimed a generous £6680 on swanky hotels and £12,000 on first and business class flights.

To be fair, the poor guy did have to slog it out a few times flying in premium economy but 97 per cent of his jet-setting was more expensive classes.

Prof Bob came 13th out of a list of all vice-chancellors for his lavish spending on hotels, according to new research by the University and College Union.

The average annual spend on hotel accommodation was a mere £3202.

Bob’s salary is nearly twice as much as the Prime Minister’s paltry £142,000, and Loughborough is by no means the worst when it comes to outlandish VC salaries and expenses.

The average pay-packet for a vice-chancellor in 2013/14 was £260,290.

General Secretary of the University and College Union Sally Hunt said: “What has been most striking is the huge variation in universities’ responses to our requests for information.

“Too many institutions refused to provide any information on expenses and the majority showed a strong determination to keep the details of decisions on senior pay a closely-guarded secret.

“Even where minutes of the committee tasked with setting senior pay were supplied, they were often redacted to the point where they were rendered meaningless.

“Many staff and students will be amazed at the size of vice-chancellors’ salaries, and at the largesse displayed by some university leaders when it comes to first class flights, hotels and other expenses.

“That this is happening in public institutions which are largely funded by the taxpayer and students makes the lack of transparency and accountability surrounding senior pay and perks a national scandal.”