Car of local damaged by revellers

Patience is running out

| UPDATED anti-social behavior Loughborough

An aggrieved resident on Frederick Street has had his blue Jaguar vandalised by drunken students, adding to the discontent amongst locals in Loughborough over the behaviour of students.

The resident claims that the damage was caused by students jumping up and down on his car whilst drunk, on the evening of Thursday, October 16.

The resident responded by plastering notices on his car in order to warn off future vandalism from students.

The notices read, “This damage was caused by students who think it’s funny to jump on resident’s cars. Why should we tolerate these actions?”

Charges were not pressed by the resident, despite the act being reported to the police, as the guilty party has been identified and has paid for the damage.

This issue adds fuel to the fire of the behaviour of students, with the incident discussed at the Storer and Ashby Residents’ Group (SARG) on October 21.

Loughborough resident Pam Ede-Cooper has created a log of incidents that occurred during Freshers from September 22 to October 8, due to the concern over anti-social behaviour from students.

Ede-Cooper noted down 50 incidents, four of which were positive, nine classed as tolerable and the remainder were reported as disturbances.

Incidents in this list included shouting and chanting from more than 60 students, more than 100 students chanting on Ashby Road and house parties in Storer Road, where police were called.

Ally McDonald, the community warden who was the only representative from the university at the SARG meeting, has insisted that relations will get better with residents, due to the launch of a “get to know your neighbour campaign”, with the distribution of 5,000 tea bags aimed at improving community cohesion.