Panic as a man wielding a wrench runs through town

Students hid in local shops

| UPDATED Loughborough man wrench

Petrified residents hid as police were called to a man behaving erratically armed with a wrench in Loughborough town centre.

Police were called yesterday following reports a middle aged man was causing damage.

Speaking to The Epinal, one third year student claimed she fled into a nearby toiletries shop to avoid encountering the man, who was said to be repeatedly hitting the wrench against the pavement. The pavement was unavailable for comment.

Following the attack against the pavement, another witness reported seeing the man run past the bus stops outside the Amber Rooms wielding the wrench.

Two police cars arrived to the scene soon after.

The man was stopped by police outside The Swan in the Rushes. Several interviews of witnesses were conducted by police but no arrests were made.

A police spokesperson said:

“Police were called at 10:29 am yesterday morning when it was reported damage was being caused in Swan Street. A 31-year-old man was walking down the road with a wrench. Police took the wrench off him. There was no damage caused and no criminal offences identified. The man was not arrested.”