Captain Sam Minihan reacts to Man United defeat

Till next time

football

Last night our valiant footballers conceded two goals against a strong Man United Youth team.

The Epinal talked to Captain Sam Minihan about his thoughts on the game and his hopes for the rest of the season.

“I thought the game went as we expected it to with Man United keeping a lot of the possession.”

“However I felt like our setup prevented them from creating any real chances other than the two goals.

“As the game progressed I felt like we grew with confidence and established a foothold in the game.

“We had a goal disallowed and missed some key chances one of which I hold my hands up for.

“I was particularly impressed with their number six who never seemed to give the ball away.

“The captain was also a stand out player in a strong Man United outfit. I honestly believe all our lads rose to the occasion. Everyone ended the game with no regrets and feeling immensely proud.”

Manchester United number 6, Sean Goss scored the games opening goal with an impressive curling effort from the edge of the box after eight minutes.

Loughborough struggled to get possession or territory, but had chances on the break and by pressuring 17-year-old keeper Dean Henderson they nearly had the ball in the net.

Henderson took too long with a clearance and Kurtis Revan blocked the kick, which ricocheted just past the post.

The home side showed great discipline and desire in their defensive duties and were spurred on by a large crowd.

However McGuinness’ side remained a constant threat for the rest of the half but could not add to their lead, due to some poor finishing.

In the second-half a mistake at the back allowed Ashley Flethcher to double United’s lead.

Loughborough had plenty of chances to get a goal, but the closest they came was a disallowed goal for offside by Ben Ward-Cochrane.

Despite the result Minihan had immense pride in participating in the fixture:

“To play such a high profile team as Man United was an honour for us.”

“They boast an outstanding history of bringing through some of the world’s best youth players. As a university it shows how respected we are to be able to welcome such teams.

“My favourite moment of the game was at the start as we walked out onto the pitch. Seeing so many people make the effort to come and watch and cheer us on meant a lot to the team an we can’t thank people enough for their support.”

But this game was merely a showcase and Luff get back to BUCS and non-league football, with their next home fixture on October 28 against Kirby Muxloe.

Minihan is certain that if the team perform to the standard that they did last night, the season will be a promising one.