Russ Selby, Civil Engineering graduate, conquers the world

Lufbra goes global (on a bike)

| UPDATED charity cycle Russ Selby trip world

Russ Selby and two friends are cycling the planet.

The three, who have known each other from a young age began in Russ’ hometown of Manchester in August 2013, and are currently in Osh, Kyrgyzstan.

The “Wonders of the World Charity Cycle” has taken the three through Europe and Asia, visiting cities such as London, Paris, Rome and Istanbul.

Currently in Asia, he is about to cycle across the edge of the Himalayas and into China.

Russ and his friends are raising money for four charities; WaterAid, Kidneys for Life, Save the Children and Cancer Research UK.

Cancer Research UK is of great significance to Russ, who is fundraising in memory of his grandfather, who passed away from cancer in 2010.

The boys have raised £2,486 so far for the charities, which will be split evenly between them.

A gruelling challenge for most people, Russ sayss he is doing it for fun whilst his body is still capable. They have not set any time limits, as they want to enjoy the experience of seeing the world.

In the coming weeks, the trio will cross the Taklamakan Desert. If things go to plan they will see the Taj Mahal, the Great Barrier Reef, the Grand Canyon and the Amazon.

Russ graduated in 2013 with a Masters in Civil Engineering, gaining a 2:1.

However, his main sporting passion is basketball for which he represented Lufbra in the BUCS Premier division.

Loughborough’s culture of success and breeding winners has massively affected his mentality, which he has said he picked up from an early point since studying at the university.

The trip was partly inspired by a tour of Europe that he and his friends undertook in in 2010, which they did in a van, with only a cooker and sleeping bags.

If you would like to keep track of this adventure then visit their website. Click here to support their charities.