We walk on water – But who’s got the lightest feet?

Last year we won BUCS for the 34th time. It’s quite obvious we’re the best. But who is the best of the best?

| UPDATED Athletic Union captains cricket hockey Loughborough rugby sport tennis

We met the individuals who keep you out of base for 4 hours a day. We met the individuals who bleed the purple of Lufbra. We met the people who make sport at Lufbra tick.  

Rugby: James Freeman, Captain

Freeman (left) is a Barbarian.

What makes Rugby Union the best sports team at uni?

I think our general team ethos of how close we are not only individually in teams but throughout the club as a whole. Also for playing rugby in National 1 which is the 3rd tier in national rugby against professional and semi professional teams in a heavily competitive environment.

What was the funniest moment from last season?

Probably our wrestlers social at Halloween and watching everyone getting into character and performing wrestling moves on people round the union.

Who is the one to look out for in the club and why?

Harry Elrington is one to look out for I would say big lad on the pitch and will be huge for us this year at tight head. Outside of rugby you can usually find him roaming around echoes in his alter ego “Baz the Gypsy King”.

Women’s Hockey: Kim Leiper, Captain

Hockey is one of the biggest clubs in the AU.

What makes you the best sports team at uni?

We ARE the best team in Lufbra, not only because of our results, but because of how close the team are to one another. The team get on so well, and out of my three years here it is the the best social dynamics we have had. We have so much fun together off the pitch and this transpires into how we are on the pitch. Teamwork is everything

I would say Beth Bingham is the one to watch for because she is a fresher this year who played for Wales in the Commonwealth Games; so she’s got senior experience and is doing GB U21 stuff at the moment. But the other freshers are all talented too, our new keeper Fran has played for England U18.

Men’s Hockey: Stewart Miller, last years Chairman

The hockey club won two BUCS Golds last year.

The attitude within the Hockey club makes it the best sports team.

With such a dedicated and hardworking coaching team and committee it ensures that the club is always trying to improve.

The club is very close off the pitch which in turn benefits us whilst playing as well. With such a good social scene great friendships are made as well as brilliant memories.

The funniest moment of the season has to be some of the antics that took place during the day of BUCS finals and in particular during the night out afterwards. As we won two BUCS gold that day the whole club was in the mood for celebration.

Luke Taylor is one player to watch out for this year. He is new to the team but has already had a lot of success. He has recently been selected for the GB U21 side to play in a tournament out in Malaysia. His drag flicking ability will also prove to be a real asset to the team this year.

Men’s Basketball: Reiss Haggith, Captain

You know he’s a basket baller when he’s taller than David Haye.

What makes you the best sports team at uni?

We are an up and coming team thats going from strength to strength. What we’ve achieved in such a short period of time, since the uni has been in partnership with the Leicester Riders and the elite basketball programme was established, is second to none.

The funniest moment has to be watching a player from our team having a conversation with our coach about how he was unable to train due to an injury to his private area.

And the one to watch this season is Tyler Bernardini who has graduated from the University of Pennsylvania and looks to continue his studies at Lufbra whilst starting his professional career with the Leicester Riders, he is a great all round player with loads of experience and should play a huge part in the success of the team this year.

Women’s Basketball: Rheanne Bailey, Captain

Women’s basketball are jokers.

We are the best sports team at uni because we are like a family. And when supporters come to our games they always have a great time and the atmosphere is amazing. We also are a team of jokers. So basically the funniest team on campus.

The funniest moment of last season is when our minibus tyre blew up and then we got pulled over by the police and escorted to our game by them.

And the ones to look out for are Anna Forsyth and Robyn Lewis. They have massive potential.

Cricket: Jake Kings, Chairman

The friendly side of cricket at Lufbra.

The reason that the cricket club are the best club in Lufbra is that we have been one of the most successful clubs in recent memory and have won BUCS Gold two years in a row now.

Funniest moment was being asked to tone down our behaviour by Park Hill Golf Club after filling bins with empty bottles and drawing penises in bunkers.

The one to look out for is Ian Prowse. Prowse scored a hundred two years ago and could make a big impact after returning from a placement year.

Football: Sam Minihan, Vice-Captain

The footballers are a ‘close’ bunch.

We are an extremely close knit group of players. A majority of the lads are currently studying the same course and living with one another. We regularly go on team social events and involve everyone within the system. On the sporting side of things everyone commits a lot of time and hard work to the team with a past record that speaks for itself.

On the journey back from our popular long away trip to Stirling our minibus didn’t have any toilet facilities. We decided as a group to empty as many plastic bottles as possible to solve our inevitable problems we would be faced with. Needless to say things got a bit messy.

Due to a majority of our finalists graduating last year we have an extremely young squad. From what I’ve seen so far there is a great deal of young talent and potential for us to progress.

If I was to select a player to look out for I would say Alun Webb is an exciting prospect. He’s had a brilliant start to the season scoring 8 goals in 7 games from the wing. His ferocious pace and unpredictable step over has left many a full back bamboozled.

Rugby League: Alex Calvert, Chairman

Calvert and LSRL lost to Leeds Met in last years BUCS Final.

Rugby League is the best as it combines high levels of skill and tactical awareness with extreme physicality and intensity, hence it is often regarded as the toughest sport in the world in the media.

One of the funniest moments last year was when big prop forward Dami Randle scored a 50m solo try and managed to cramp up whilst crossing the line, along with the brilliant time when a few of the lads joined in with a game of quidditch after an away game in Oxford.

The one to look out for this season is LSRL forward and Wales Students International Tristan Trehan, who would currently be touring South Africa with the Great Britain Academic Lions (along with several former LSRL players) if not for some unforeseen circumstances. He is a big, athletic, machine of a man who could tear up BUCS this season.

Men’s and Women’s Tennis: Tom Haslam, Chairman

Haslam has dabbled in a few club socials.

What makes tennis the best sports team at uni?

We have a team spirit and togetherness which is unrivalled. We are committed to improving and push one another as a team to achieve our goals. We feel a great sense of pride whenever we represent the university.

Harry Randle stopping his match mid-point and proclaiming the centre to be “like a zoo” due to the noise coming from the court next to him.He then demanded the point to be re-taken which his opponent quite rightly denied.

Olivia Nicholls, she won her first British tour event last week in Lufbra to back up her gold medal in the individual BUCS doubles last year. She also went all of last season unbeaten in BUCS singles matches, earning her a call up to represent British Universities at the All England Club.

Netball: Olivia Mason, Last years Captain

The netball girls love Coggs.

Why is Netball the best team in the uni?

Loughborough Students Netball Club is a great club to be involved in as we have 4 BUCS squad so theres plenty of opportunity to represent the university in the BUCS competition and also a squad who represent the university in the Leicestershire regional league.

Of course off the court we have a strong social set up and a netball team social is a great place to be.

What was the funniest moment of last season?

Funniest moment of the 2013/14 season has got to have taken place after a match in Hey Ewe.. Say no more.

Who is the player to look out for in the club and why?

The player to look out for in LSNC is Lauren Massey who is currently part of the England Development Programme. Representing England U21 at the World Youth Championships in August 2013 and now progressing through the England ranks. After a season out with an ACL reconstruction we hope to see her out on the court representing LSNC very soon.