Now clubs are going to breathalyse you on the door (and so is the SU)

The future of predrinks hangs in the balance

| UPDATED alcohol breathalyzing clubs Loughborough

Joyless bouncers will force you to pass a breath test to gain entry to five local clubs – including the Students’ Union.

The clampdown on boozing – led by police – will see students forced to blow into a breathalyser on the doors at Echoes, Mansion, Revolution, Amber Rooms, and our very own Loughborough Students’ Union.

In a move which could spell the end of predrinks forever (and land clubs even more cash), door staff will be able to refuse entry to anyone they think is too drunk.

The pilot scheme will run from Friday September 19 until Monday November 3 – but killjoy police are threatening to make it permanent.

No more drinking on your way to a club.

PC 1845 Mike Green, Beacon Officer for Loughborough Town Centre and the coordinator for the initiative said: “We want to raise awareness of the effects of excessive alcohol consumption on health and well-being, as well as supporting licensed premises to help them deal with customers who have had a bit too much to drink.

“Whilst we will be providing training and guidance, ultimately all of the decision making remains with the staff at each venue.

The freshers are devastated.

“At the end of the pilot and in partnership with the ‘pilot’ premises and Charnwood Borough Council will be undertaking a review to see if it merits being rolled out on a wider and permanent basis across the area.”