Why the World Cup is taking over my life

RVP is a salmon and now I love football

I’m not going to pretend like I know football all that well, because really I don’t.

My playing career culminated in a few appearances in the casual yet mightily important secondary school lunch time fixtures, whilst my managerial career arguably peaked when I drove Leicester City FC to Champion’s League glory in FIFA 12. However, every four years one of the biggest shows on Earth kicks off and millions of us become obsessive lunatics screaming at our TVs late into the night, myself included. The  2014 World Cup is here, and this year’s has already been a screamer.

Who could have imagined Spain’s absolute annihilation at the hands of the Dutch on only the second day of the tournament? Or Van Persie’s ludicrous header pretty much confirming that he’s likely half Dutch, half salmon? Costa Rica’s shock victory against Uruguay confirming that yep, it’s going to be tricky for us to get past the group stage.

We as a nation usually forget the bitter disappointment that has typified English international football for decades and quietly allow optimism to creep in. Our performance against Italy in our opening match, whilst probably our best in years, wasn’t enough to secure a victory. However, due to patriotism-induced blind optimism, I’m predicting we’ll beat Uruguay 13-0 and Costa Rica 16-2 to get through.

This is also the first time I’m enjoying a tournament of this calibre whilst at Loughborough University. The abundance of opportunities across campus to enjoy the matches surrounded by likeminded fans is seriously impressive. Village Bar, JCs and Room 1 are all showing games for the majority of the tournament.

The sense of community generated from hundreds funneling into Room 1 for our opening game must have been electric. Watching it in my hall’s common room, people walking past were running in to determine why my friends and I were screaming at the TV before leaving to go and get wrecked in Echos. It’s bringing us all together like nothing else can.

Room 1 was absolutely heaving for England’s opening game

For people that hate football this month must be unbearable. Pretty much every single form of social media has become infested with overbearing hashtags relating to the tournament, whilst I’m no better; I’d be surprised if I don’t lose a hefty portion of my followers before it’s finished on July 13. It’s the atmosphere, the scale and the unity that makes the World Cup so special.

FIFA, as an organisation, has come under intense scrutiny of late. The accusations of corruption are becoming deafening, whilst their decision to award the 2022 tournament to Qatar has been sullied by claims of bribery. But for one month every four years, it’s all about the game, the goals, the massive highs and depressing lows.