Playing in the park

Second park takeover set for this month

En&D, Loughborough University’s English and Drama Theatre Company, are once again taking over Queen’s Park for an evening of open air theatre. This year’s play, Charley’s Aunt by Brandon Thomas, a nineteenth century comedy farce, will be staged on Friday June 20 at 19.30pm.

Loughborough University and Charnwood Borough Council are jointly funding the production for the second year in a row as part of the ‘Love Loughborough’ and ‘Fabulous Friday’ campaign, designed to draw more people into the town in the evenings.

Rupert Ibbotson Photography

Last summer En&D performed Noel Coward’s comedy of manners Private Lives to a packed audience, even securing reviews in The Loughborough Echo.

Director Samantha O’ Rourke, an English finalist, said:

“We are really excited to be given another opportunity to bring Queen’s Park to life with open air theatre. Charley’s Aunt is a hugely funny play and there is lots of scope for us to have real fun with it. The cast have been working really hard and we’re hoping it will all pay off for an amazing night next week”.

Charley’s Aunt follows two University of Oxford students, Jack Chesney (Played by Theo Jewitt) and Charley Wyckeham (Sam Lane), as they make plans to declare their undying love for their respective partners. Only the girls refuse to meet without a chaperone. So when Charley’s rich aunt (Julia Quayle) agrees to resolve the matter everything seems fine and dandy. Only she fails to appear…so Jack and Charley hatch an ingenious plan and call upon their good friend Lord Fancourt Babberly (Luke Gannon) to impersonate Charley’s Aunt with hilarious consequences.

The play stars Luke Gannon as Lord Fancourt Babberly and Julia Quayle as the real Charley’s Aunt, supported by Grace Blackman, Tolly Coburn, Charlotte Dove, Annabell Griffiths, Theo Jewitt, Sam Lane, Sarah Pretty and Suchiththa Wickremesooriya.

Tickets are £5+ a booking fee and can be purchased from the Loughborough Town Hall website or in person on the night. Free parking will be available after 3pm and guests are encouraged to bring their own blankets, chairs and food.

En&D Company website http://endtheatrecompany.weebly.com/.