Rishi Sunak surprised UCL students with visit during donation drive for earthquake relief

The Prime Minister helped pack donation boxes for those affected in Turkey and Syria

Rishi Sunak made a surprise trip to UCL’s Students’ Union yesterday, 9th February.

The UK Prime Minister came as students led by the UCL Turkish Society were receiving and organising donation items for relief efforts for the Turkey-Syria earthquakes. He helped students pack the boxes, made a donation, and posed for photographs with the volunteers.

In a tweet about his visit, Rishi Sunak wrote: “To the people of Türkiye and Syria, know that the UK stands with you.”

Alongside the Prime Minister’s visit to help students, the UK government has sent 76 search and rescue specialists with four search dogs and rescue equipment to Turkey and is working with the UN to support Syria.

The donation drive at UCL saw over 200 boxes of aid items being donated by students in just one day yesterday. Donations are still accepted today from 9am to 1pm at the Bloomsbury Theatre.

The UCL Turkish Society has also teamed up with UCL’s British Red Cross on Campus in an online fundraiser. Similar donation drives and fundraising events are also happening at other London universities; details can be seen here.

Feature image from @ucl on Instagram.