Help Turkey Syria earthquake

Here are all the ways you can help the victims affected by the Turkey and Syria earthquakes

One of the earthquakes was one of the strongest to hit the region in the last century

A 7.8-magnitude earthquake, one of the strongest in the last century, hit parts of Syria and Turkey on Monday 8th January, killing thousands of people and causing structural damage across the countries.

According to AP News, more than 5,000 people have died and thousands were injured. The UK has promised to send a team of 76 search and rescue specialists and rescue dogs to Turkey along with the Greek government mobilising resources to help.

Thousands of people are currently doing all they can to help in any way can. Love Island winners Ekin-Su and Davide have been sharing a number of ways people can help the disaster. In an Instagram post, Ekin-Su said: “I’m pleading we help, people are dying! Help stop the suffering in Turkey and Syria, please help. I have donated as much as I can and we need to spread awareness.”

These are all the ways you can help and donate to help:

Unicef

UNICEF has mobilised aid to Syria and is helping to rush emergency relief to children and families. It’s “initial focus” on emergency response is on “water, sanitation and hygiene, child protection services, nutrition and education.”

UNICEF’s field office teams are “assessing impact on main water stations and water storage facilities to determine the extent of damages and interruption in services, and providing emergency water access for displaced families.” It is also working to “protect unaccompanied children and reunite those who have become separated from their families.

You can donate to UNICEF here.

Union of Medical Relief and Care Organisations (UOSSM)

The UOSSM has made an urgent appeal for assistance with providing emergency medical relief and health care services to Syrian people. The President of UOSSM, Dr. Khaula Sawah, said: “We need urgent aid immediately so we can help save the lives of those injured in this massive earthquake. Our staff is working tirelessly but are overwhelmed with the numbers of casualties. We need urgent support immediately. Countless lives are at stake.”

You can donate to the Union of Medical Relief and Care Organisations here.

Syrian American Medical Society

The Syrian American Medical Society is asking for donations to purchase trauma supplies and provide emergency aid to patients. The relief organisation is working on the frontlines of the crisis and are doing all they can while one of their hospitals has been closed due to damage.

SAMS’ President Dr. Amjad Rass said: “Across our operational facilities, we’ve been receiving victims of the quake as they come into our hospitals while simultaneously working to guarantee the wellbeing of our over 1,700 staff in Syria, and 90 at the epicenter near Gaziantep, Turkey.”

You can donate to the Syrian American Medical Society here.

Save the Children

Another way to help the Turkey and Syria earthquake disaster is by donating to Save the Children. Save the Children is working in northwest Syria and Turkey to assess where aid is necessary. In Turkey, Save the Children is “working to assess needs and has established a response team to support the national emergency response across the region.” Those on the ground are supporting affected communities with emergency kits, including blankets and winter clothing.

You can donate to Save the Children’s Emergency Fund here.

Doctors Without Borders

Doctors Without Borders is currently caring for those in northern Syria who have been injured by the disaster. The charity provided immediate support to 23 health facilities across Idlib and Aleppo governorates by donating emergency medical kits and supporting it with medical staff to reinforce its teams.

You can donate to Doctors Without Borders here.

Project HOPE

Another way to help the Turkey and Syria earthquake disaster is by donating to Project HOPE. Project HOPE has deployed emergency response teams in response to the earthquakes. Project HOPE’s President and CEO said: “As temperatures hover near freezing and airport closures and snowstorms delay access, Project HOPE has deployed an emergency response effort and is working with local and international partners to respond to the immediate needs.”

You can donate to Project HOPE here.