University of Liverpool strike dates confirmed for the first week of term

Members will strike for five days in September

A total of 140 UK universities, including the University of Liverpool, will be striking at the end of this month.

UCU has announced that members will strike from Monday 25th to Friday 29th of September, which is the first week back for most students at Uni of Liverpool.

This follows the recent withdrawal of the marking and assessment boycott, which started on 20th April. Despite this, members are continuing to strike over a pay and working conditions dispute.

UCU general secretary Jo Grady said: “We are left with no option but to strike during the start of term because our members refuse to stand by while pay is eroded and staff are shunted onto gig-economy contracts.

“It is shameful that vice-chancellors still refuse to settle the dispute despite a year of unprecedented disruption, and have instead imposed a pay award that staff overwhelmingly rejected.

“We desperately hope vice-chancellors realise we are going nowhere without a fair settlement and make us a realistic offer.”

The complete list of universities participating in the strike can be found here.