A King’s professor has been recognised in the New Year Honours list

Professor Sir Vernon Bogdanor was appointed a knight for his contribution to political science

A government professor at King’s College London has been recognised in the King’s New Year Honours list.

Vernon Bogdanor was appointed a knight for his services to political science, including being a researcher at the Institute for Contemporary British History and a regular newspaper commentator.

Bogdanor achieved a PPE undergraduate degree Oxford University in 1964 and from there started off his career in academics as a government and politics professor at the university and a Senior Tutor at Brasenose College where former prime minister David Cameron was one of his students. On his transition to King’s, he said: “I am very grateful to King’s for taking me in when I left Oxford and for providing me with such stimulating colleagues and lively students.”

Bogdanor has advised governments and governing officials on multiple occasions but is most notable for his publication on the unwritten rules of the British Constitution, which was the first of its kind.

During his almost 60 year career, he has also been a visiting professor at Yale University in America where lectures he delivered whilst there were later turned into a book which helped people internationally participate in functioning democracy through new constitutions and/or electoral systems.

In 1998, he was awarded a CBE but this year sees Vernon become a knight, meaning he is able to use the title Sir and will be touched by a sword by the King, as per tradition.

Featured image via YouTube.

As a final year student applying for grad jobs, I’m sick of men telling me I’m not good enough

• This is what British band you belong in based on your King’s degree

• 50p breakfasts and £1.50 lunches to be introduced as part of King’s £3m support package