50p breakfasts and £1.50 lunches to be introduced as part of King’s £3m support package

While the cost of living crisis looms, KCL students can look forward to some additional support announced in the new King’s support package.

King’s College London has introduced 50p breakfasts and £1.50 lunch options as part of a £3 million support package announced within the last week to help students with the cost of living crisis.

Amongst the support to help with travel prices, food and living, the university is adding £750,000 worth of funding to enhance food and drink offers on campus, including 50p breakfasts, £1.50 lunches, 25p fruit and organic orange fruit juice for just 95p.

The package also contains a further £1 million funding for the King’s living bursary and £750,000 for hardship funding for the students most in need, doubling the current amount of hardship funding provided.

The remaining £500,000 is to be held as contingency in order to provide additional emergency support to those that may need it over the coming months.

Vice president of education and student succes at KCL, Professor Adam Fagan, said the university was aware of the “concern” among students.

He said: “This package is designed to not only support those in need, but also remain agile to the situation, with flexibility to allocate funds when and where they’re needed.

“We encourage any student who is worried about monety – whether that’s paying household bills, affording travel expenses, or understanding the financial assistance available – to reach out for support.”

The cheaper breakfast (8:30-10:30) and lunch (11:45-14:30) options are available at King’s Kitchen on the Strand campus, Bytes Restaurant on the Waterloo campus, WEC Restaurant and IOPPN Restaurant on Denmark Hill Campus, Henri’s Deli (breakfast) and Henri’s Restaurant (lunch) on Guy’s Campus. The fresh fruit and orange juice is available at all outlets all day.

You can find any additional information about how this support package can help you through the cost of living crisis here.

King’s College London ranks sixth best uni in UK in The Times World University Ranking

Stop the Music: We spoke to the new student campaign targeting spiking in KCL nightclubs

• Meet the King’s students who got featured on an ITV dating show