‘The biggest cycling event in history’: What the Glasgow World Cycling Champs means for you

Road closures, where to watch, and should you be interested in going?

As you may have seen, the Cycling World Championships are coming to Glasgow and across Scotland. The event will be held from 3-13th August, with the event starting in ‘Europe’s friendliest city’. Organisers have said this will be the biggest cycling event in history.

What does this mean?

Some of the world’s best cyclists will be riding through the city, and they’ll be welcomed by many cycling fans across the country. 8000 professional and amateur cyclists are due to take part with athletes from over 120 countries.

There will be 13 UCI World Championships at the event, including BMX Freestyle Flatland, BMX Freestyle Park, BMX Racing, Gran Fondo, Indoor Cycling, Mountain Bike Cross-country, Mountain Bike Downhill, Mountain Bike Marathon, Para-cycling Road, Para-cycling Track, Road, Track, and Trials.

Archie Innes, GU Cycling Club’s trips and events convenor, said it will “definitely be a huge spectacle,” whether “you’re into cycling or not”.

“As well as the races, the atmosphere in Glasgow and the other championship locations will be absolutely electric and a once in a lifetime opportunity to see some of the world’s best athletes in action”.

How does it affect you?

Today the opening ceremony is being hosted in George Square, the designated fan zone throughout the competition, with a performance from KT Turnstall.

ScotRail have warned that the road closures will impact bus routes but have also confirmed that more trains will be running throughout the event, including more trains arriving at the Sir Chris Hoy Velodrome in Darlmarnock.

Notable road closures include University Avenue, Great Western Road, Queen Street, Argyle Street, and Byres Road. See a full list of road closures here.

How can you watch?

Many activities during Champs will be free to attend, including viewing the Road Race from various points along the course and participating in GO LIVE! activations throughout the city. Race routes, events and (free) tickets can be found here and Get Ready Glasgow explains more on how you can get involved.

What UCI means for the city

The championships are a great opportunity for Glasgow to showcase itself to the world. The city will be transformed into a cycling hub for the duration of the event, and the plentiful opportunities for people to get involved in cycling, whether they are spectators or participants, will put the spotlight on Glasgow as a friendly, vibrant city.

Glasgow is no stranger to hosting major events. In recent years, the city has hosted the Commonwealth Games, the European Championships, and the Davis Cup. The UCI Cycling World Championships are just the latest in a long line of major events that have come to Glasgow.

With its growing reputation as a sporting city, Glasgow is well-positioned to host even more major events in the future. The city is already in the running to host the Champions League final in 2025.

Want to write articles like this? Have other ideas? Join the team! DM us on Instagram to contribute, no experience necessary.

Related articles recommended by these authors: