Tributes pour in for Glasgow student who died on board the Titanic submarine

Suleman Dawood has been described as a ‘beloved son’ who would ‘do anything for anyone’

Family, friends, and officials have paid tribute to Suleman Dawood, 19, a student at the University of Strathclyde who died on the submersible that was on an excursion to the Titanic last weekend.

The submersible lost contact around an hour and a half into its dive, with experts now confirming that the vessel had imploded. A few hundred metres from the Titanic’s wreck, a debris field was discovered on the ocean floor.

Suleman Dawood informed a relative that he was “terrified” before going with his father Shahzada and three other people on a tour to the Titanic shipwreck.

Suleman’s aunt, Azmeh Dawood, spoke to NBC news, saying she was in “disbelief” at this “unreal situation”.

She said: “His father wanted it and that was Sule all the way – he’d do anything for anyone.”

“I feel very bad that the whole world has had to go through so much trauma, so much suspense”.

In an earlier statement from his family, Suleman was described as interested in volleyball, Rubik’s Cubes and a “big fan of science fiction literature and learning new things”.

Following the devastating news, the Dawood family shared their “profound grief” on social media.

The statement read: “It is with profound grief that we announce the passing of Shahzada and Suleman Dawood. Our beloved sons were aboard OceanGate’s Titan submersible that perished underwater. Please continue to keep the departed souls and our family in your prayers during this difficult period of mourning.

“We are truly grateful to all those involved in the rescue operations. Their untiring efforts were a source of strength for us during this time. We are also indebted to our friends, family, colleagues, and well-wishers from all over the world who have stood by us during our hour of need.

“The immense love and support we receive continues to help us to endure this unimaginable loss. We extend our heartfelt condolences to the families of the other passengers on the Titan submersible.

“At this time, we are unable to receive calls and request that support, condolences, and prayers be messaged instead. Details of their final rites in this world will be announced soon.”

Suleman Dawood was a student at the University of Strathclyde, having just completed his first year at the Strathclyde Business School. Professor Sir Jim McDonald, Principal and Vice-Chancellor of the university, released a statement about Suleman’s death.

He said: “We are shocked and profoundly saddened by the death of Suleman Dawood and his father in this tragic incident. The entire Strathclyde community offers our deepest condolences to the Dawood family and all those affected by this terrible accident.”

Students from across Glasgow also mourn Suleman’s death. Emilija, a student at the University of Glasgow said how “absolutely awful” the situation was. She said: “The fact he would have been so similar to us, going to all the same places in Glasgow as us. And now what has happened to him.”

James Cleverly, the Foreign Secretary, called the development “tragic news” and stated that the British families impacted are receiving close support from the UK Government.

Pakistan’s foreign ministry released a statement, sharing their condolences.

“Our deepest condolences to the Dawood family and the family of other passengers on the sad news about the fate of Titanic submersible in the North Atlantic.”

First Minister Humza Yousaf took to Twitter to offer “thoughts and prayers” to those who knew Suleman.

OceanGate, the company that ran the tour, released a statement shortly after the debris field was found, saying it was an “extremely sad time” for their “dedicated employees”.

A spokesperson said: “We now believe that our CEO Stockton Rush, Shahzada Dawood and his son Suleman Dawood, Hamish Harding, and Paul-Henri Nargeolet, have sadly been lost.

“The entire OceanGate family is deeply grateful for the countless men and women from multiple organizations of the international community who expedited wide-ranging resources and have worked so very hard on this mission. We appreciate their commitment to finding these five explorers, and their days and nights of tireless work in support of our crew and their families.

“This is a very sad time for the entire explorer community, and for each of the family members of those lost at sea. We respectfully ask that the privacy of these families be respected during this most painful time.”