Let’s meet some of the GU players taking part in the Glasgow Rugby Varsity 2023

“The hardest part of being on the rugby team is walking around the uni library without getting asked for a photo”

Today, Friday the 24th of February 2023, the annual Glasgow Rugby Varsity will be taking place in which players from both the University of Glasgow and the University of Strathclyde will be running circles against each other at Scotstoun Stadium trying to bring the trophy home. 

Read on to hear from some of the players, about their training and how rugby is an important part of their life. 

Daniel Kilpatrick (Captain) 

What are you studying? 

I am in fourth year and I am studying Veterinary Medicine. 

What position do you play? 

Second row, number five. 

How long have you been playing rugby for? 

I have been playing for about seventeen years, since I was four years old or so.

How are you finding it being a rugby player? 

I enjoy it, I don’t know what else I would do with myself if I wasn’t playing. 

How are you feeling for the game? 

Confident, the team is in good shape. I think we’re gonna have a good game. 

Do you have any injuries? 

Yeah, I broke my collar bone before and that’s probably my most major injury. I also hurt my ac joint in my shoulder and had a couple of concussions. However, I have been lucky enough, lucky enough injury-wise throughout my whole career.

How often do you train in a week? 

Well, we train on Mondays and Fridays in the pitch, so that would be approximately three hours total in the pitch plus a game. Then we do two gym sessions a week as a team, so about five hours a week or so. 

What was an individual highlight for yourself? 

For GU, with a good win this year over Aberdeen, we were on top of the league. This was our focus scheme from the start of the year, and winning the league this year. 

What was your highlight of someone else?  

Andy Morrison probably scored one of the nicest tries I’ve seen playing rugby last week actually. That’s pretty fresh in the mind.

What is the hardest part in being a rugby player? 

Hardest part, oh it has to be half six starts in the gym. 

What is your go to pre-match meal?  

Because we play in the mornings, usually like a late breakfast, so I wake up and have something small, like bananas and Weetabix. 

Jacob Maclellan (Vice Captain) 

What are you studying? 

I am a fourth year studying Neuroscience. 

What position do you play? 

I am playing Full back which is number 15. 

How are you feeling for the game? 

I am buzzing for the game, can’t wait to run out at Scotstoun in front of a few thousand people. Should be a good run about and we’ll do our best to win. 

How long have you been playing for? 

I have been playing for over fifteen years now, so not too sure how I’m still so average.  

How often do you train in a week? 

We have at least two pitch sessions a week, and then two set gym sessions a week. But the main conditioning is all the wrestling me and my flatmates get up to. 

Are you planning to pursue rugby after Uni? 

Think I’ll be back playing for my local club at home, Topsham RFC.  

Do you have any injuries? 

I’m never not injured, at the minute feels like I’m made of glass these days.

What was your individual highlight for yourself?  

Captaining the side for a couple of games was a good experience but it is unreal having Dan back to lead the side out for varsity. 

Rudi getting hooked after 20, if you know you know.

What’s the hardest part of being a rugby player? 

Running into Henry Sykes in contact is the hardest thing I’ve ever done, that man is made of strong stuff.

What is your go to pre-match meal? 

Whatever Fergus Orr wants to whip up in the kitchen, usually a mean spag bol.

Stewart Hull 

How are you feeling for the game? 

Absolutely buzzing.

What are you studying? 

I am in fourth year studying Maths. 

What position do you play? 

I play scrum half, number 9.

I have been playing since I was seven. 

How often do you train in a week? 

Twice on a Monday, once on a Friday, once on a Saturday, and got to get those extra gym sessions in on the other days. 

Is rugby a big part of your life? 

Always played it, and most my friends come from it. 

Do you have any injuries? 

Luckily so far, I’m quite injury free. 

Winning this game. 

Seeing parges rise to the top. 

Hardest bit? Walking around the uni library without getting asked for a photo. 

What is your go to pre-match meal? 

I eat a load of fruit before a game. 

Maybe! 

Rudi Evans

What are you studying? 

I am in fourth year doing Philosophy. 

What position do you play? 

I play back row which is number seven. 

How are you feeling for the game?

I feel good. I knew that I would now. I feel good, I knew that I would now. So good, so good. I got you.  

How long have you been playing for? 

Started playing when I was eight, but I had a brief hiatus from ages 11-16 in order to peruse my dance career which never really took off.

How often do you train in a week?  

Physically we train twice a week on the pitch and twice a week in the gym. But mentally, I’m always training since I downloaded that chess app.  

Is rugby a big part of your life? 

Rugby is to me is what spring rolls are to the all you can eat buffet of life.

Do you have any injuries? 

Nah mate!  

When Dan had a god damn Veterinary exam and Jay was injured, I got to captain the side against Stirling which was nice. But the highlight for me is watching Connor Myles week in week out.  

That even if we could, wouldn’t go back to where we started, I know you’re still waiting wondering where my heart is. Praying things won’t change, but the hardest part is you realize that maybe I, maybe I ain’t the same. And what you’re waiting for ain’t there no more anyway – Olivia Dean  

What is your go to pre-match meal? 

I like to eat mussels and clams before a game, and I don’t share this meal with my flat mates. It’s shellfish I know but it’s just what I do. 

Louis Henderson

What are you studying? 

I am in third year and I study Accounting and Finance. 

What position do you play? 

I play tight head prop which is number three. 

How are you feeling for the game? 

Really looking forward to the game today, eager to get out on the pitch for what will be a cracking game. Both teams are on a great run of form so will be a good challenge for us as a team and a chance to win some silver wager.  

Been playing rugby since primary school, P5 started off at Dalziel dragons and spent my first few years watching more of the game than I played but as I grew older I managed to get more involved in the game and get my hands on ball.  

How often do you train in a week, and is rugby a big part of your life? 

Rugby’s a huge part of my life currently. Training anywhere from 3/4 times a week, team sessions, then any conditioning work on top of that, with two games one on a Wednesday and one on a Saturday between GU and Biggar so a huge commitment in my life just now and something I love doing. 

What is your go to pre-match meal? 

Pre-match meal is a tough one for most games as I don’t eat beforehand as I struggle to settle it for early Ko, so today is going to be a bit of a challenge mailing what to eat beforehand. But if I’ve got a late weekend kick off, then I eat some porridge with bananas and honey. 

If there’s one thing you need to improve about yourself what is it? 

Think the biggest development area for myself personally is carrying height and ball presentation.  I often carry  too high and I am sometimes susceptible to turnover especially against good defence. 

Related stories recommended by this author:

Featured image credit via @thelewisoconnor