Life Hacks – The Durham Edition

Life hacks are all over the place with many websites proclaiming easy DIY techniques to make each day that little bit easier. From the weird to the wonderful, here are some cheats for you Durhamites …

Proof reading essays

Been stuck at your laptop all day finishing that final summative and just can’t stare at it one moment longer? Use Google Translate to proof read an essay. It can read it aloud so you can listen for errors.

Save storage space

Save space in your college room or tiny wardrobe in your house by joining hangers using drinks can tabs. Also, keep your shoes out of the way by sliding them into wine carriers, storing them in the bottom of your wardrobe or under your bed.

Feed yourself and your housemates

Heat two bowls at once in the microwave using this trick. Also, providing dinner automatically makes you the best housemate ever.

Get rid of procrastination problems

Too many distractions when you have a deadline? Mac users: get the SelfControl app and for PC users: getcoldturkey.com. These block any websites you want for a certain period of time forcing you to work. You can last a few hours without your Facebook feed. Promise.

The Pre-drink Party Trick

Impromptu house party/predrinks before hitting Lloyds and Loveshack Wednesdays? Stick your phone in a glass or jug to amplify the music. Also works for your alarm the next morning so you don’t sleep through your 9am. You’re more than welcome.

Get cold drinks in minutes

Wrap a warm beer in a damp piece of kitchen roll and place in the fridge for 10 minutes. It’ll be perfectly chilled.

Embrace the Durham snow

Not completely a life hack but it’s gonna happen. Prepare with boots for trekking to lectures. Try to buddy up on journeys so when (not if) you slip on ice, you can laugh off your bruised ego.

The snack incentive for studying

Stupidly boring book from Bill Bryson? Reward yourself, follow a chocolate trail as you make your way through your reading.