Meet the Cardiff students who are hiking Mount Kilimanjaro for Teenage Cancer Trust

‘My favourite life experience to date’

12 Cardiff University students are currently preparing to hike Mount Kilimanjaro to raise money for Teenage Cancer Trust.

The trip seeks to raise life-changing money for the fantastic charity, whose work plays an integral role in helping young adults beat cancer.

The 12 students will set out on six days of trekking in Tanzania, at a significant altitude of 5,895m above sea level. Each student setting themselves a fundraising target they hope to reach or beat before the climb. Meet the team of students preparing to take on the challenge.

Felix

Felix is a fourth year economics student who is taking on the role of Co-Challenge leader. He’s keen to grow a large team for the challenge and raise as much money as possible.

Felix said: “Having recently completed the Three Peaks Challenge with colleagues on my placement year, I’m looking forward to a new challenge! We will be raising money for Teenage Cancer Trust, having seen a close friend recover from a brain tumour I know the real importance of the Teenage Cancer Trust.”

Betsy

The team’s other Challenge leader, Betsy Board, spoke fondly of her previous experience completing the trek.

Betsy said: “Having climbed Kilimanjaro in my first year at Cardiff University, I can honestly say that it has been, and I’m sure will remain, my favourite life experience to date.

“Set on the border of Tanzania and Kenya, and reaching an incredible height of 5895m, it definitely is the most amazing opportunity. As well as the climb, which takes seven days, there is also the opportunity to remain for an extra eight days in Africa on the extension trip. For this part, we go on safari, as as spent time on the stunning island of Zanzibar, where we swim with turtles and go whale watching.”

Lois

Lois, a second year chemistry student, is also taking part in the climb and spoke of her excitement for the challenge.

She said: “I’m really looking forward to climbing Mt Kilimanjaro as I’ve been wanting to do it for a while. I appreciate it will be a challenge but I’m excited to meet new people and push myself out of my comfort zone. Can’t wait to start fundraising as it’s for a great cause.”

Lauren

Lauren, a first year politics and international relations student, expressed her gratitude to the team of her fellow students partaking in the challenge with her.

Lauren said: “I am super excited to take on Mount Kilimanjaro and for the mental and physical challenges that it will bring. I am immensely grateful to the team for giving me this amazing opportunity.”

This is a fantastic project and the students representing Cardiff University should be very proud of what they are setting out to achieve.

For more information follow @CU_kilimanjarotrek on Instagram.